chapter fifty-four

A/N this is a sequel to my book "infuriating" so if you haven't read that, make sure you do before reading this (:

"hey!"

i stir from my spot on colbys bed, shaking myself into consciousness.

"jake?" i call out, trying to find the body in which the loud voice woke me from. it takes a few seconds, but once i find jake in the corner of the room, i also spot corey and aaron standing by the doorway.

"oh my god," colby rolls over and hides his face from the bright light omitting from the camera in jakes hands.

"it's time to get up! it's moving day!" jake yells out and laughter fills the room. i shake my head in disappointment. i'm not sure why i didn't see this coming, because jake had warned us that he'd come in early and wake us up. it didn't cross my mind that he'd be recording it, but i know he won't be able to use the footage regardless. colby and i being in bed together isn't exactly something he can post.

"you know you can't put that in, right bro?" colby calls out, rolling out of his bed and whipping the blanket off of me. he folds it casually, not looking up from his work until he is done. it is uneven and i want to laugh at how badly he did, but i keep my mouth shut and listen to jake try to justify his filming as colby packs the blanket away in an open box in the corner.

"it's just for me," jake giggles and puts the camera down on the side table. that is one of the last pieces of furniture we still have inside, the rest of it folded up and disassembled, ready to be shoved into the back of a moving truck. it's odd to see the apartment i've called home for months now completely empty, and it's even weirder to be totally content with it. i thought moving out would be depressing, i thought i'd be in denial until i had to face the truth that this isn't september anymore. it's been months since i met colby, and i am no longer a scared child. i have to face this head on, and i am not dreading it.

"merry christmas eve," colby kisses me once i get up from the bed.

"god, ew!" corey laughs at our affection. i smile at him in an apologetic way before colby gestures rudely for them to get out of the room. they pile out, one by one, leaving me alone with my boyfriend.

"merry christmas eve," i respond finally once i know nobody else can hear my words.

"i'm sorry we are moving today, i wish you could be back in chicago with your family," colby apologizes and i shrug honestly. "it's okay, i don't mind." i mean it. i'd rather be here than at home, listening to my mother drone on about how amara shouldn't be having friends over every day. she still doesn't know what exactly emily is to amara, but i think it's better that way. every time i call, amara tells me about our mothers complaining.

"i love you," he smiles, placing a kiss on my hand and spinning me around playfully. after a few minutes of laughing and kissing each other, we finally get dressed. when i put this outfit aside for my last day here, i must've forgotten that it is freezing outside. even though the shirt is long sleeve, by the time we get outside to meet the movers, i establish that a simple long sleeve shirt will not suffice.

"i have to get into one of my boxes, i need a jacket," i mutter as we walk back towards colbys apartment, through the hall.

"no, you can have mine." he quickly shrugs off his thick black jacket, and wraps it around me. "you won't be cold?" i ask, referring to his now lack of layers.

"no, i'm wearing a sweater." his smile is amused and nothing short of joyful, and i can't hide my happiness in this moment.

"you're cheerful this morning," colby comments when we make it back into his apartment and begin moving our boxes to the front of the room. i run in a small circle and laugh out quietly.