chapter sixty-six

"what's up?" i turn to the boy, playing dumb to the reason he came out here.

"i just want to tell you that you're amazing. nothing they think about you is remotely true, and you are everything to me. they should be happy that i found someone to make me feel this way, not angry that it isn't them," he rambles on and i want to cry. do i deserve this?

"thank you..." my voice is strained and i can't hide the fact that i am freezing right now. i pray he doesn't pay too much attention to my shaking, and only notices the amount of love i hold in my eyes.

"you know that right? you know that you're everything to me? and you have done nothing but improved my life, i don't care what anyone else has to say about that. they're not me, and they're not you. they have no way of knowing the impact you've made on me and who i am. you have changed me completely, and i know i've done the same for you. i love how much we've grown together. i just love you, andromeda. please know that."

the breath is knocked out of me and i stare blankly at the boy i have devoted my soul to.

"you are perfect," i practically whimper out before shoving my body close to his. he wraps his arms around me with a small chuckle, holding me closer than i ever imagined was possible. his warmth radiates throughout my body and the tension within me eases up a little.

"you are perfect! you're doing so good, and if they're not proud of you, i am!" he exclaims without letting me go and i let the tears fall, finally. it isn't a painful sob, but an aggressive one nonetheless. he holds me until i no longer have the awful emotions spilling out of my eyes in the form of clear liquid.

the room is cold and the boys are yelling about their latest fiasco. i am drowning them out, focusing my attention on the television, playing some kiddie show that jake decided on.

colby is sitting on the couch next to me, but his eyes are buried deep in his phone and his discomfort is obvious.

"you okay?" i ask quietly, hiding my voice from the others.

"yeah, you wanna go out?" he asks, not ripping his eyes away from the bright screen. a few months ago i wouldn't have even considered it. it's late, the sun is down, and i might even be asleep by now if i still lived with tara.

"yeah, where to?" i ask, staring at the boy until he finally looks up at me.

"just go get a jacket," he instructs me with a smirk and i roll my eyes. i quickly stand from my spot, finding my way into the basement and grabbing a jacket as quickly as possible. i stop to breathe for a second, the events of the day catching up to me. it's late, a little too late to be going out, but i am a sucker for colby and everything that he does.

"got it?" his voice sounds from the stairs and i quickly slip my arms through the sleeves, securing the warm article of clothing around me.

"yup," i smile to him and follow closely as he walks us out of the house.

"we are going out!" he calls out once the boys shoot their confused looks at us.

"where are we going?" i ask once we are outside and walking in the direction of his car. the fragile boy is holding his hands over his chest, gripping his arms for warmth. i know i should start yelling at him to remember a jacket, but he is so cute when he shivers and shakes. it gives me every excuse in the world to wrap my arms around him and hold him close.

"i'll tell you when we get there," he mumbles into my neck. his arms are tight around me and i rub up and down them to provide heat for his bare skin. he thanks me with a smile and turns towards his car, unlocking it and starting it almost immediately. i am not surprised when the heater takes a few minutes to start working, so i throw my jacket on top of colby and insist that he wears it because i am not cold.