chapter seventy-eight

"baby?" his voice is groggy enough, that i think i might have awoken him from a peaceful slumber. i wait a few seconds before deciding on what to say next. i feel like my mind is jumbled up in a bunch of bowls, and i'm not sure which one i want to speak from. what am i thinking? i should just say something, anything, or he'll start to worry at my silence.

"i love you so much," i speak slowly and it is only now that i realize how drunk i really sound. i didn't mean to call him this way, i just had to hear his voice and tell him how i'm feeling. he laughs boldly from the other end of the phone call, and i relish in the feeling i get from his euphoric sounds. "i love you too, andromeda. what are you up to?" he asks and i smile, looking down at my ridiculous position. i am sprawled out on my bed, and if he knew how foolish i looked, surely his promises of forever would be retracted.

"i'm just laying down... julia went to go to talk to jake. i think they're gonna have sex! we should have sex... what?"

"baby, you should drink some water. you feeling okay?" despite how concerned his words are, his tone is filled with amusement and i giggle to myself. "i'll go get some water now! wanna make out?" i ask, enjoying my mind taking control over my words. i would never say these things usually, but it feels blissful to be able to not care about colbys reactions. i feel powerful when i say things like that. i feel like a girl that i am not, a girl like tara. i admit, i think she'd be impressed with me lately—between the outfit i got at the mall with katrina and julia, and the way i'm speaking to colby right now.

"watch out, i might have to fly home right now and kiss your drunk ass," he laughs as i get up from my bed.

"kiss my butt? you've never done that before!" i exclaim and his laugh only grows louder. i realize the fault in my words as he gathers himself. "i meant metaphorically, but i can do that too. get some water," he reminds me after clarifying his weird choice of words. i giggle as i climb the stairs and find my kitchen through the dark house. i'm slightly surprised at how quiet it is, because i know everyone is home besides colby. wow, how i wish he was here. maybe it's later than i think, because it's far too quiet to be around 9pm. typically the boys would be at their loudest around now.

"huh?" i ask after colby finishes saying something that i didn't hear.

"i said what happened with julia and jake?" he asks and i realize he doesn't know much of what has been going on since he left. it's only been a few days, but time has never passed slower.

"i think she's telling him she loves him... i'll explain when you get back," i laugh a little. it's a confusing story, and i can't wait to tell him all about the things i've watched happen between the two. if he was here, he'd tease his friend about the rejection julia shot at him. i'm glad he isn't, for jakes sake.

"water!" i exclaim as i open the fridge and grab a bottle from one of the shelves. i quickly turn around, almost dropping my phone when i hear a noise behind me.

"hello!" i smile at the tall blonde boy sitting at the table. that's awkward, he's been here the whole time? how long have i been in here again? time isn't working properly, i think someone messed up the clocks. or maybe i'm stuck in a time loop, and i will never see my boyfriend again...

"hi! are you drunk?" aaron says with a small smile. "noooo..." i slur the word out like a child, caught taking the last cookie from the pantry. i shut the fridge door, turning my attention back to the boy and telling colby that i will call him back in a minute. he agrees, and hangs up before i get the chance to tell him how much i love him and how i will miss him during the few minutes it takes me to get back to my room.

"you be careful," aaron warns me as i walk to the table, sitting down across from him. i only stumble a few times, but he laughs like i fell flat on my face. what's up with these sober boys laughing at me?