Chapter 56: Hippie Chics and Frontmen Hit A Karmic Wall

Okay, this an anchorchapter --meaning it's a pivotal plot turning chapter--I've been planning for a long, long time. Ever since Costa Rica was first mentioned...PAY ATTENTION...

Ashlynn

Luis has never been to San Jose. He's amazed at the tall buildings and the traffic. He's very helpful in the stores, and the shopping goes quickly because Leed has a guy's mentality to shopping, especially since money is no object to him.

He stalks into each store, throws his Black Amex on the counter to get their attention and tells Luis to tell the clerk, "They have fifteen minutes to sell me whatever they have that's on the list."

The guy at the Apple store freaks out when Leed buys thirty MacBooks—I guess he just made his selling quota for the year.

"Leed," I chide. "Philanthropy is also about making every dollar count," I remind him. "Less expensive student computers might be a better idea...Chromebooks or something..."

"We're already here and I want to get this done and get to the fun with the kid. Budgets will be your job. Today, I'm just playing Santa Claus," he says cheerfully and buys Luis an Iphone. "So he can text us. Maybe he won't feel like he has to steal if he thinks he could ask us for help, if his mom ever came back." Leed reasons.

"Laurie won't let him have that," Ashlynn chides. "That's favoritism."

"She will if I tell her it's part of the philanthropy deal. That he has to send videos of the other kids and how our money is being put to use."

I shake my head as the Apple guys brings out the cart of Macbooks. "I forget you're an angel with horns and a tail."

"You love me like that," he says and squeezes my ass where no one can see.

Hours later, our shopping is done, we splurged on room service burgers and milkshakes with Luis, and Leed sweet talked the hotel manager into opening the already-closed pool for us. Before I can suggest we see how well Luis can swim, Leed swoops him up and tosses him in a high arc in the deep end. I gasp, but Luis comes up laughing and paddles to the side easily.

"Again!" he demands, climbing out and up Leed like a monkey.

"Again what?" Leed gives him an evil eye as he holds him casually with one arm.

Luis rolls his eyes. "Again, por favor."

Leed grins. "You're right, that's about how much Spanish I have, kid." He throws him in again, and this time Luis swims underwater to the shallow end and performs handstands. As Leed and I ease down the steps I shake my head at him.

"You should have made sure he can swim before you threw him in the deep end."

"Baby, a kid like that learned a long time ago how to keep his head above water," Leed scoffs. "Besides, I would have saved him, if he couldn't."

I wrap my entire body around Leed. "Like you saved me, when I was drowning."

"I will always save you," Leed promises, with a kiss to my cheek.

My gut flip-flops, thinking of "the problem" that awaits us at home. I can't let Leed think he needs to save me from that, because he'll be the one who gets in over his head.

————

Maybe it's because life is slow here, but every day in Costa Rica feels like a lifetime. By the time we have to say good-bye to Luis the next day, it feels like I've known him forever. As he hugs me and tells me again he's sorry from stealing from me, I pick him up, look him in the eye, and say, "I forgive you. You don't have to apologize to me for that ever again, okay?"