Chapter 21

Following the events that had happened back at the snowy mountains during their snowboarding, it was clear that there was a change between Lucy and Karma but nobody could quite catch what it was. The two remained the same with Karma initiating the conversation while Lucy merely nodded her head and added silent remarks. But, the way the two looked at each other had changed. Lucy would frequently give those rare smiles that she had never used to give and Karma had a more gentle look to him. Though, his crude and blunt personality remained ever the same to others around him.

The students let it slide for considering how it was a trip, they were all glad that Lucy was finally letting loose instead of putting up the cold front that she always had as an assassin.

During the days at the resort, she frequently hung out with the other girls and enjoyed a day at the waterpark with the class as the teachers joined in as well — of course, with the exception of Korosensei. During that time, she had grown closer to Itona, who she viewed almost like a sibling, and had begun to learn more about each individual person such as their tastes and hobbies. Some she could relate to but others who she couldn't, she hung out with them and experienced new stuff which she soon found likable. If she hadn't taken her mind off of things, she would've never been able to enjoy herself like this. She could see why Karma had gotten so angry.

But, all good things must come to an end.

Days had passed and they had enjoyed all the fun times together with laughter passing through the halls and smiles being displayed here and there. It was time for her to recollect the fragments of her shell that she had shed and cover herself up with it once more. The reason why she had come was for one purpose only and it was time for her to fulfill her duty.

Sebas curled the ends of her hair before brushing through it, creating a wavy look. Pinning back one side of her locks, he pinned a small, black hat with a white rose and black ribbon to the side of her head, a small veil attached to the hat as it covered her face. Throwing on a black dress with a high collar and long, ruffled sleeves with a black ribbon sewn around the elbow, she let the black ruffles of her dress fall to her knees as the black ribbon situated itself at the middle. Pulling up a pair of white stockings, she placed on her black, round-toe, platform heels. A short, black outer cape with ruffles lining the ends was placed around her with a black rose tying it together. Opening her eyes, she stared into the mirror and wondered when was the last time she had seen such dead, cold eyes.

"Are all the preparations ready?" she said, her hands folded in her lap.

"Yes, Lucy-sama," Sebas bowed.

She looked down at her lap and at her gloved hands. Once more, they would be stained with the crimson, red blood that dyed her in each and every waking moment. Standing up, her blonde hair flowed behind her and Sebas opened the door, her feet taking her to where she must be. Stepping out, she made her way downstairs to the main lobby, the bell of the elevator giving a silent ring as it came to a stop. The staff to the hotel had long retired and the others had already departed, meeting up with Karasuma's colleagues in the Ministry of Defense. The only ones who were left were Sebas, her, and Karma.

She stepped out of the elevator and there, standing in the lobby in the silent moonlight, his amber orbs aglow as they etched themselves deep onto hers, was Karma. He wore a black suit with a dark, grey-collared shirt, a black tie hanging down as his suit was buttoned in the middle. A white rose was pinned at his breast pocket, a black ribbon fastened to it. He stared right at her and reaching out a black-gloved hand, he stood there in an almost enchanting silence.

Lucy stopped before him, the clicking of her heels coming to a stop as the two stared into each other's eye. Unlike his usual self, he neither smiles or laughed but merely continued to stare at her. No words were needed to be exchanged for his eyes were enough to convey everything. Compared to her or even Nagisa, he may not be anything special but if worse came to worst, he would definitely protect her. To him, she was someone who could never be replaced and someone who he held dear.