Visions and Mirages

Following that night in the forest. I had decided to limit my time in Coumarine, wanting to keep pursuing my goal. I didn't get a chance to say farewell to Elaine as she had already departed by the time I returned that night. Nurse Joy was sure to thank us for saving the boy, paying each of us a reward for our services. I initially declined, but she was adamant that we took it on behalf of the pokemon center.

Currently, my pokemon and I were headed back to Lumiose City to collect our fifth gym badge. However, between us stood the fabled Lumiose Badlands. The internet hadn't told me enough about the dangerous people that hung around there. The strong and aggressive wild pokemon coupled with the difficult to navigate landscape made it a treacherous journey for even experiences travelers. But the worst of it were the heavy sand and dust storms that raged across the land, rendering anyone unable to see further than five feet in front of them.

All of these factors made the Lumiose Badlands a clear turning point for trainers. However, the other option would be to travel all the way back around the west side of Kalos, resulting in an additional month on the road. That was time I couldn't afford to lose because the stars waited for no one.

Thankfully, we had found a small river embankment meaning that we weren't berated by the heavy sandstorms. This was a great opportunity to train everyone for the upcoming battle.

"Slowpoke, use water pulse and Dratini use twister to counter!"

Both pokemon stood facing each other before launching their attacks that collided between the two.  Arcanine was introducing Honedge to the rigorous training schedule assuming he would be over worked. However, the steel pokemon took to the training like a moth to flame, wanting to continue even after everyone else was worn out.

"Nice work, Slowpoke let's work on your defenses now. Dratini, use slam."

The blue dragon pokemon sprang into the air, twisting her body to ensure that her tail would swing forward. Slowpoke made no effort to move, knowing that he wasn't a match for Dratini's speed.

As the snake like pokemon was about to connect her attack, Slowpoke swiftly stood on on its hind legs, holding his front arms in the air, catching Dratini, shocking both the dragon pokemon and I.

Out of the water behind Slowpoke, a mysterious shadow leaped out, directly toward the pink water pokemon who had left his tail hanging in the water beside him.

I was confused at first as the shadowed creature clenched on Slowpoke's tail but no cry of pain was heard. Instead, the water pokemon was veiled in a thick blue light as he grew greatly in size. Quickly, the light flashed away revealing a larger version of Slowpoke that stood on his back two legs comfortably with a hermit creature attached to his tail.

The pokedex was quick to inform me that this was Slowbro, the evolution of Slowpoke. Slowly, the water pokemon lowered Dratini, letting her onto the sandy floor gently.

"So you left your tail in the water to attract the creature that would let you evolve?"

Happily, Slowbro nodded, elated with his newfound strength. I recalled Slowpoke having insane intelligence levels and from what I read, the toxins injected into the tail allowed for Slowbro's body to endure more physical pain as well as the ability to expand its brain size drastically.

"That was really intelligent. I had no idea that was how you evolved!"

The hermit crab pokemon danced happily, enjoying the fact that his excellence had been yet again recognised. Dratini joined in with the celebrations, happy that her friend had evolved.

"I think that's a good place to call it for today. Let's get going."

All five pokemon returned to their pokeballs, tired from the day's training. I placed the safety goggles over my eyes, shielding them from potential sand storms. I covered my head with a thick scarf so that the sand wouldn't get caught in my hair, nose or ears.