Chapter 16

I've never been in a situation like this before, and it's pretty hard to hold my composure in all of this. Why is this happening to me? Of all people, why me?

I sat there on the floor as tears streaked down my face, trying my hardest to soften my cries. But why exactly was I crying though? 

Well maybe because I heard the voice of Bryn's uncle calling at the door. Yes, you heard me right, the man that is out for my head

I sat as quietly as I could and tried to make myself as small as possible, because if I make any sort of suspicious noise I am done for. Can the floor just open up and shallow me? I mean, I'd say that I deserve it actually.

If this is my punishment for something I did and I'm still unaware of, I'll need someone to tell me what it is so that I could accept my fate instead of going through this bullshit thinking that I never did anything wrong in the first place. I know life is always filled with endless pain, regret, tears and sadness, and it's inevitable, but why am I the one to be dragged through all through this storm, when all I ever did was go to school, ran track and did gym. All for my family, unknowing of the fact that I would end up in deep shit for the very same family that I was trying to please and make "proud". And that's life in a nutshell, so do what you want to do for you.

I was sitting here for almost 30 minutes, but I still have that eerie feeling, and I know that someone is still here. I didn't want to take any chances and move not knowing if whoever it is that was outside is able to see inside, but I find it quite weird that they were still here. But my eyelids were heavy and I started to feel them slowly shut.

And then suddenly, as if he was summoned by my inability to stay awake, I heard the strong voice of Bryn questioning his uncle.

"What are you doing here?" Bryn asked

"We need to talk."

"About what?"

"The business..."

That was the last thing I heard before the sound of the keys unlocking the door jingled in my ears...

THE SOUND OF KEYS?! 

"You're not going to offer me a glass of alcohol?" his uncle spoke up 

"I have a lot of errands to run so let's make this as quickly as possible."

" I came to you in terms of Emilio." 

When I heard my father's name, I immediately listened in carefully to the conversation that they were having.

"What about him?" Bryn asked,

I heard the two men sit... in the chairs that were not quite far from me, Fuck.

"He's dragging my business down, and in the past week I lost four customers because he overpriced them."

"I thought you liked overpricing things Uncle, I heard it was your second favorite thing besides framing men for you nasty work."

"Watch your mouth boy."

"Whatever." I heard Bryn mumble

"I'll need you to put a stop to this." 

"How am I suppose to put a stop to Emilio fucking up your business? I don't work in the delivery or the customer field anymore, and you know that I abandoned that shit at 17."

"Oh you won't have to do anything of the sort."

"Then what are you asking me to do?"

"To get rid of Emilio."

"Get rid of him?"

"You fucking dunce! Do I have to spell out every shit for you? Sometimes I wished you would've stayed in school instead of dropping out and coming to work for me."

"Watch your fucking mouth and tone with me! You don't fucking get to come up in my place and disrespect me!"

"Bryn."

"What?"

"Kill Emilio before he runs my business to the ground."

"And why is that my job?"

"Because I know how much you disliked him and I'm sure you still do. Do this one favor for uncle and you'll be greatly rewarded."

"I'll think about it."

"Make the right choice boy."

"Goodbye uncle, it's soon 5 o'clock and  Bianca will be here soon to keep the house while I go out and run my errands, when she gets here she'll freak out if she sees you. We had our talk, now I'll see you off."

I heard the weight on the chairs shift as the two men got up and as Bryn escorted his uncle out of the house. 

This man is planning to kill my dad... why does everything keep getting worse. Things shouldn't be this bad, I should be at school training for track and getting ready for exams, how the fuck did I get to this? Hiding behind a counter eavesdropping on two men that wants to see my father dead, this is bullshit!

I listened as the door shut and the lock turned, then I heard footsteps coming towards the kitchen. I looked up to see Bryn walk towards the fridge, opening it, taking a bottle of scotch out of it, then closing it back. Turning around to then look down, and he then saw me.

"Oh fuck!" He exclaimed as the bottle dropped from his hands and  broke, shattering all over the floor, I slowly stood up

"What the fuck Kristie!" He shouted at me

I just stood there staring at him with tired, puffy, sad eyes. He watched me, and then I saw his demeanor change,

"Oh shit." he whispered as the realization hit

I slowly closed my eyes and took a deep breath, inhaling and then slowly exhaling

"How much did you hear?" He asked

I ran my hand through my hair, taking another breath, this one less deeper than the last. I opened my eyes and they filled to the brim

"Why must you always do this to me?" I finally spoke, my voice raspy and soft

"Listen-"

"I fucking get that you don't like me! I'll fucking accept that! But why do you want to get rid of everything that I have left? My grandpa is dead, my mother is hardly ever around and is too busy to even give a shit about me, and now you want to get rid of my dad?! The one man that I have left in my life. AND YOU WANT TO FUCKING GET RID OF HIM!!"

"What the fuck did you hear?!" he shouted

"I hate you." I started to walk towards him slowly, feeling a sharp prick as the broken glass that was shattered on the floor made their way up the soles of my feet, but it didn't hurt.

"Stop that. You're hurting yourself."

"Nothing can hurt as bad as the pain that you and your uncle put me through these past few weeks. And all I ever did was try my best with everything and this is what the heck I get?!" I looked around the room and shouted, "Karma you've got the wrong person!"

"You're bleeding." Bryn said as he looked down at my feet

And just like that, the adrenaline rush that made me unable to feel was gone, as I realized that I was making my way a bit too comfortably over the glass. I was then tortured with open wounds, burning as the alcohol made its way through the cuts.

I laughed as the world around me started to get dizzy and my vision was blurred, and I saw tiny black dots dancing around.

"Oh shit." Was the last thing I said before I felt myself falling.