ch.i

"Biana...I like you!" The words tumbled out of Keefe's mouth and his cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "Uh, I mean, it's okay if you don't, I just thought you should-"

Biana cut her off with a grin. "It's okay, Keefe. I like you too."

From behind the tree where they were hiding, Sophie gave a little squeak. "Aw, they're so cute together! Don't you guys agree?"

Linh's forehead creased into a frown. "I'm...happy for them, I suppose."

Tam didn't say anything. He couldn't.

Something alien had filled his throat, as he saw Biana throw her arms around Keefe and he gagged as Keefe returned the embrace, pressing his lips against the top of her head. Turning away from the scene, he coughed something small, soft and solid into his hand. Ignoring Linh's worried questioning, Tam shoved the object into his pocket. "Uh, guys, I don't feel too good. I'm gonna go back to Tiergan's place. See you soon, Linh."

He still couldn't believe it.

Physically, coughing out flower petals was impossible, Tam had to remind himself.

But then why was he currently bent double over the toilet, hacking and wheezing as more and more of the small red petals dropped from his mouth by the second? And Linh's incessant knocking on the bathroom door wasn't really helping.

"Tammy, just let me in. I can hear what's going on, and ...ugh, just let me in."

He shook his head weakly, wiping his mouth. "Sorry, Linh, but...you might freak out."

"I'm freaking out anyway! Tam, you're scaring me! You've been in there making weird gagging noises for the past hour and it's not exactly pleasant standing out here and imagining the worst case scenarios!"

"Yeah, well," he grumbled, getting to his feet unsteadily. "This may be worse than whatever your imagination came up with."

"I'll be the judge of that," she sassed back, as Tam wrenched the door open. "So. What's wrong?"

Another bout of coughs interrupted his explanation. Wordlessly, Tam showed her the small bunch of petals now crushed in his fist.

Linh's face drained of colour. "How... that's it. We're gonna take you to Elwin."

*moody trumpet music* please don't kill me. 

Hope you liked it.

-miyu