ch. xxxix

thirty-ninth chapter! in case i'm the only one who knows roman numerals....istg they're s-o-o-o-o pointless.

the only reason i use them i because they look aesthetic to me XD

As Biana downed the last dregs of the elixir, the vague ringing in her ears intensified. Her head felt unexpectedly heavy, and she suddenly found herself being guided into the cushy chair by Linh, who now looked doubly worried about the tonic and its effects.

"-eep breaths, Biana. In, out. In...."

Slowly, Linh's voice faded out of range, like a badly broken Imparter's sound, as she struggled to get a grip on herself. Suddenly, Livvy's mask was in her range of sight, flashing a pair of concerned bright blue eyes. She snapped her fingers barely an inch away from the tip of Biana's nose.

"Hey. Focus on me, girl." Livvy waited five seconds before continuing. "This medicine is pretty effective, but only if you sit back and let it do the work. No trying to be strong. At least, not for the next five minutes or so."

Biana nodded numbly, choosing not to question how the physician had seemingly read her mind, as Linh placed a supportive arm around her shoulders, coaxing her gently back into whatever 'normal' was.

Slowly, ever so slowly, the ringing in her ears faded, and her temples lost the sickening feeling the medicine had induced. Breathing heavily, she sat upright, immediately turning towards Tam. Both Livvy and Elwin were squinting at a particular orb of murky blue light, around his throat. In unison, they looked up, sliding off their glasses.

Their expressions scared her. Biana wasn't sure if she wanted to hear whatever they were going to say.

Linh apparently had no such restrictions. "Well?" She asked. "What happened to him?"

Livvy reached behind her head, untying the ribbons that held her mask to her face. Again, in eerie sync, she and Elwin gave the slightest shake of their heads.

"I'm so sorry...."

DON'T KILL ME PLEASE

I DID WARN YOU

b-but....i can't believe i actually wrote t h a t

*noisy, messy crying and wailing of TAM WHY*

oh, and i'll probably need this...*hides inside impenetrable shield*