ch. li

The end approaches...I think.

I legit have no idea.

Linh sat on her bed, fuming. Dex honestly expected smoke to start pouring out of her ears any time soon.

"How dare they do that. How dare they. Can't he even rest in freaking peace? You'd think he'd at least be peaceful now that he's d-dead, but noooo. Life keeps hating on him. Seriously. How ridiculous is this?"

"Well, you could think about it this way," Wylie interjected. What a brave person. "Maybe this is Tam's way of rebelling even in, uh, death?"

"I don't think so," Biana mumbled. "What he went through was enough to make anyone wish for peace."

Linh's bottom lip trembled ever so slightly. "I don't have anything left of him anymore, except for his stuff. I guess I was sort of counting on his Wanderling as a sort of memorial thing? And now...I don't even have any pictures of him. Only memories."

"Well...this might not be what you hoped for, but I could draw you some stuff of him?" Keefe offered from where he'd been leaning quietly against the wall. "Not to brag, but they'd be better than photos. Especially if there's any particular moment you want."

Her head turned so fast Dex was surprised she didn't get whiplash. "You'd be willing to do that?"

"Of course I would." He gave her a slight smile. "I mean, it's waaaaay better than drawing rude pictures of Lord Noseypants. Which is practically the only thing I do these days."

"I am using up every inch of my willpower to not ask about what you've drawn about your dad," Sophie said, from the doorway. "But I just spoke to Mr Forkle, and he said that Kesler helped him figure out what went wrong at the planting."

"WHAT?!" Everyone yelled in complete unison.

She winced. "Ow. Calm down. Kesler was able to figure it out and Mr Forkle gave me a long explanation that I didn't understand a word of, but long story short, he wants you all to clear your nonexistent schedules for tomorrow. Okay?"

Dex had never seen such a sad smile as the one which Linh was wearing right then. "Okay. And Keefe, I still want those drawings."

"Sure thing."

Oh wow, look. It's another semi-cliffhanger.