part 2

Nausheen: nice bike, dude!

The guy: Thanks! So, you were only looking at the bike?

Nausheen: yeah!

Numara: hey Nausheen! Let’s go?

The guy: hey! You’re in my class... right?

Numara: MS Mechatronics?

The guy: yes!

Numara: oh cool!

Me and Numara say bye to the guy and start walking towards the class.

Nausheen: do you know the guy?

Numara: yes! He’s my class fellow! Rayyan.

Nausheen: okay!

Nausheen: so, did you find a partner?

Numara: not yet! I don’t think anyone’s left.

Nausheen: oh!

Rayyan: Numara?

He shouts from too far. He definitely didn’t listen to us speak about him. Numara turned back to see what’s up. He came running from the back…. Panting he said

Rayyan: are you in anyone’s team yet?

Numara: no, that’s what I was just telling her now.

Rayyan: do you mind working with me?

Numara: you haven’t registered yet? I mean, three people have told me they wanted to pair up with you.

Rayyan: I didn’t want to pair up with them.

Numara: why?!? Anyway, I don’t care! Okay cool! Let’s go register.

Rayyan: yeah come!

Nausheen: okay! You guys carry on! My class is here. Bye!

They both say bye and leave

The next few days we met in canteen every day. After a couple of days of eating together we smiled at each other. Then, after about a week we talked,

Rayyan: assalamu alaikum

Nausheen: walaikum assalam

                I replied with a smile. Nobody says salaam in uni. Not even Ayesha and Numara.

Rayyan: how’s it going?

I talked about class to keep it formal. He told about his class and project. We both liked to keep it formal. With his behaviour I could tell we were his only friends in uni.

The next few weeks passed like usual. Me, Ayesha and Numara ate together. Rayyan joined us sometimes. He was good at his subjects. We became friends on Facebook.

Rayyan: assalamu alaikum!

Nausheen: walaikum assalam!

                Rayyan: so, are you always this quiet or is it just when I’m around?

                Nausheen: I’m like quiet around anyone I don’t know, nothing specific to you.

                Rayyan: oh!

                Nausheen: you look familiar!

                Rayyan: nice try.

                Nausheen: I’m not trying to do anything.

 I talked to him little more than how much I talked to my other guy friends. He wasn’t very good looking, only I liked the way he looked. He had a round nose. His best quality was that he started all conversations with a salaam. No one in uni said salaam.

It was almost the end of 6th semester for me and Ayesha and Rayyan & Numara were about to finish their 2nd semester. I had known Rayyan for almost a year now. He was a good friend. But I didn’t know him that much really. We only met sometimes every week and for few minutes. We either talked about his research or my class. After our semester end exams we had a long break. I went to my native and Rayyan went to his parents who lived in Dubai. So we were absolutely not in touch. When vacations ended and I went to college, I saw Rayyan I knew him but three months of not talking had created a distance. He rarely even came to college since it was only his research work which he could do from home or the lab so he never came to the canteen. We talked when he came.

One day I met him in the canteen.  He sat in the chair beside me

Rayyan: assalamu alaikum

Nausheen: walaikum assalam.

Rayyan: how have you been?

Nausheen: pretty good Alhamdulillah! How are you doing?

Rayyan: good :)

We eat lunch without talking a word. Bell rang and I got up to leave for class.

Nausheen: it’s time for my class, got to go. Ok? Bye!

Rayyan smiled at me, I got up and started walking towards the class with Ayesha. I had almost reached class when I heard Rayyan shout my name. I turned around.

Rayyan: what’re you doing after class today?

Nausheen: going home and chilling with Ammi. Why?

Rayyan: can we meet?

Nausheen: yeah, I guess. Where to meet?

Rayyan: my room?

I gave him a puzzled look. He lived alone in a rented room.

                Rayyan: chill. My mom’s home.

                Nausheen: so? I still cannot come to your room.

                Rayyan: so, you’re telling me that you’d rather go out alone with me than coming home when mom’s around. 

                Nausheen: no. but your room’s like too personal.

                Rayyan: ok then the park near your house?

                Nausheen: what? No!

                Rayyan: why?

*Laughing*

Nausheen: it’s where all couples meet. If someone sees me there I can’t convince them that you’re not my boyfriend. So no.

Rayyan: ok then you tell where and when to meet?

Nausheen: corner house at 6:30

I told this and rushed into the class. The teacher was already there. I hated to enter late into the class. Everyone looks at you like you’re an alien.

That day I got home, and helped my mom in the kitchen so she lets me go without asking too many questions. After we finished some major chimney cleaning

Ammi: it has been long since you went out with your friends.

Nausheen: yeah. Shall I go today?

Ammi: No. we have more work to do.

Nausheen: we’ll do it tomorrow, I’ll help. 

Ammi: okay then.

Nausheen: thanks Ammi!

I gave her a hug and I walked to my room to change and get ready. I wore a black tunic top with a very light blue shade of jeans. I wasn’t trying to look extra pretty but I looked into the mirror more often than ever. I left home at 6 pm. Reached corner house at ten minutes past six. I didn’t have his number so I had to wait. I waited patiently till it was 6:45. And then I thought what if he doesn’t come? My milkshake was warm now. I couldn’t wait for him. I started drinking it and decided to leave when I had finished drinking it. It was 7 now. Milkshake was over. I was bored. I got up to leave. I reached the door. The glass door said ‘pull’ I was looking down and absent minded pushed it. It hit someone standing outside. Who was about to enter… I guess. :-P I look at him embarrassed with my tongue sticking out. It was Rayyan, so I suddenly felt less embarrassed. I opened the door properly this time. And let him in.