Part 12

Zaahir: assalamu alaikum!

Nausheen: walaikum assalam, I'm so sorry. I forgot to call.

Zaahir: it's ok. Were you sleeping?

Nausheen: ummm... no I'm not sleepy.

Zaahir: this had to happen.

Nausheen: what?

Zaahir: just like I'm unable to sleep without you, you also are not able to sleep without me.

I want to meet you.

Nausheen: at this time?

Zaahir: why? I'm your husband I can meet you at any time.

Nausheen: it's not safe. So late in the night.

Zaahir: so you care about me?

Nausheen: of course I do.

Zaahir: that's like a good wife. Have you packed your stuff? I'm coming tomorrow.

Nausheen: no, I'll pack tomorrow.

Zaahir: I cannot wait to meet you.

Nausheen: come early then. At 12 maybe?

Zaahir: wait wait wait. I was planning to come after fajr, eat breakfast here...

Nausheen: no. Ammi is making lunch for you. You must come for lunch.

Zaahir: ok.

Nausheen: see you tomorrow.

Zaahir: Allah hafiz.

I finished all the work and went to sleep. Next day I woke up with a smile. Right from when I woke up, after every five minutes I looked at the clock. I couldn't wait till it was 12. After breakfast I was just sitting on the dining table with Ammi.

Ammi: you must take good care of your husband, zaianb.

Nausheen: everyone at home cares for him.

Ammi: nobody can take your place. And even if he can do some things by himself. You do it for him. He'll feel good. And keep you happy.

Nausheen: yes.

Ammi: everywhere. All the time. Keeping him happy is your duty.

It was 11 now and I went up to my room to get dressed. I wore a pink and and orange salwar kameez. I heard the doorbell rang and my heart rate increased. I was still not ready. I wanted to look very pretty. I did little makeup and stood near the stairs. I was nervous so I waited for some time before I decide to go down. Meanwhile I heard their conversation.

Zaahir: assalamu alaikum.

Zain: walekum assalam brother. Come in.

Zaahir: hello auntie! How are you all?

Ammi: we're all fine Alhamdulillah! How are Nahida and Omar? You should have brought them with you.

Zaahir: everyone's fine, Alhamdulillah! Omar has his open day today. So, mum has gone to his school with him. They wanted to come otherwise.

While he was saying this I came down and stood beside Ammi. But he didn't even look at me. Why did I get so nicely dressed? Do I look funny? Or too ordinary? Is the makeup too much?

Ammi: oh ok. Tell Nahida to come home.

Zaahir: certainly auntie.

I was so lost in thoughts. And Zaahir looked up at me, finally.

Zaahir: assalamu alaikum Nausheen.

Nausheen: walaikum assalam.

Then he gets back to talking to Ammi and zain. I go back into my room and sit down. My phone rang and I saw a message.