part 3

Rayyan: assalamu alaikum

Nausheen: walaikum assalam

Rayyan: you hate me no?

Nausheen: no. no. no. I'm so sorry.

Rayyan: it's okay. I was kidding.

By the way, how long have you been waiting?

Nausheen: not too long.

Rayyan: doesn't look like it.

(Pointing towards my glass of milkshake.)

Nausheen: so, what is it?

Rayyan: let's eat something.

Nausheen: ice cream

Rayyan: chocolate?

Nausheen: ok

Rayyan: where were you going?

Nausheen: I was coming to see if you've come.

He ordered two DBC's and the order arrived in a few seconds.

Nausheen: I cannot finish this. It's a lot.

Rayyan: oh please! Look at you. I know you're capable of eating more than this.

We finished what was in our bowls without talking.

Nausheen: so, what is it?

Rayyan: do you like me?

Nausheen: excuse me?

Rayyan: I want to marry you.

I stand up in shock.

Rayyan: see, don't over react. I'm doing what's right. I like you and I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to do.

It would've been easier to accept if someone wanted to date me. But marriage? I was just 20. And he was just 23. I saw someone from the corner of my eye, walking towards me. It was Shoaib uncle. Mehak's abbuji (dad). He's closer to me than my own uncles. He pulls me by my arm and takes me home in his car. I was scared. But I knew ammi would understand. I didn't even know if Shoaib uncle had heard everything Rayyan had told. I didn't know what to say to him. He should be thinking Rayyan should be asking him or Abba for marriage rather than me. He took me home. Thank god Abba wasn't home. He told Ammi everything and left immediately since it wasn't right for him to stay in a house with two women. Ammi stayed calm. She closed the door behind him and looked at me. She asked me if I was dating Rayyan...

Nausheen: no Ammi! I would never do such a thing. You know me!

Ammi: I know you Nausheen, I trust you. But it's not a respected in our society if a girl and boy are talking about their marriage themselves.

Nausheen: I know Ammi. But, I promise nothing wrong happened.

Ammi: hmmmm... I understand... do you love him?

Nausheen: No Ammi... he's just someone I know.

Ammi: even if you like him, don't be scared. Call them home. They'll talk to Abba. Then we both won't have to worry. Abba will take care of everything.

Next day I met Rayyan in college

Rayyan: hows it going?

Nausheen: Alhamdulillah!

Rayyan: did uncle or auntie say anything?

Nausheen: yeah Ammi.

Rayyan: what did she say? I got so scared...

Nausheen: even me...

Rayyan: did she tell you not to meet me again or anything?

Nausheen: no, she told if I like you I can call you home sometime.

Rayyan: isn't that awesome?

Nausheen: umm hmm

Rayyan: so, do you like me?

Nausheen: I don't know Rayyan.

Rayyan: it's okay. I can wait.

Nausheen: thanks

Rayyan didn't come to college for the next few weeks. I didn't know why. Finally, after about a month I saw his bike, I saw him in the canteen he was with his other friends. I thought he didn't see me. He wouldn't ignore me, I thought. I let him be and go to class after the lunch break. Again, he didn't come to college for another couple of weeks. And then one day I saw him in the library. He was probably trying to find some information, it was about his project maybe. I went up to him.

Nausheen: assalamu alaikum

Rayyan: walaikum assalam! :)

Nausheen: long time.

Rayyan: yeah! I've been busy. I don't have any class to attend so I stay home and work on the project. What's up with you?

Nausheen: everything's fine... I was wondering if you're free this weekend...

Rayyan: maybe... why?

Nausheen: I have something to be clear. I want to do masters InshAllah, and I want to work. I want to help the poor. Will you be okay with all this if I marry you?

Rayyan: of course, Nausheen! I wouldn't ever stop you from doing such a pious thing.

Nausheen: what about your parents?

Rayyan: I will talk to them. They'll be fine, I'm positive.

Nausheen: so, when can you come?

Rayyan: now?

He says that with a naughty smile and I hit his arm slowly.

Nausheen: Abba will be home this weekend.

Rayyan: ill come with my Ammi and one sister.

Nausheen: how many sisters do you have?

Rayyan: mashAllah 4 sisters. And I'm their only brother, I'm the youngest in my family.

Nausheen: so cute!

Rayyan: now don't disturb. I was working.

Nausheen: yeah okay, see you.

I went out of the library. I wanted to tell everyone that I was going to marry Rayyan, I went running and hugged Ayesha, she was waiting for me outside the library. She was very happy. Then I called Ammi and told that I've told them to come this weekend. She was just as excited as me and Ayesha.

It was Friday night. I was changing sides on bed but I couldn't sleep for too long. In the morning I forget about Rayyan for some time and chilled cause they'd come in the evening and there was no point in being tensed. Ammi should have told Abba. It was 10 in the morning and my Abba kept looking at the clock, then at the door and then into the newspaper which was in his hands.

Abba: what's this? Go get dressed.

Nausheen: are we going anywhere?

Abba: no, I'm expecting some guests.

Nausheen: oh ok.