Part 5

Cake, speeches, a small gift and plenty of coffee. It was my farewell morning tea in the cafeteria. My practical placement was over and my assessment came with a glowing reference. The biggest surprise was Miranda, who I’d last seen when I helped to load her into a plane four weeks previously. A sleep-deprived man had his arm around her and in her arms was her tiny, sleeping daughter.

“We called her Felicity Belinda,” Miranda told me, shyly, as the man handed me a bunch of pink flowers.

Good luck dragon. What a name for a little girl. I smiled and thanked them both. I held the tiny child for as short a time as I felt was polite, before handing her back to her parents. As soon as I could, I intended to escape back to the ward to take care of patients. I did not like being the focus of so much attention, particularly when I was supposed to blend in.

I shook hands and smiled back at people until I managed to retreat into the corridor, where I bumped straight into Aidan. The crushed pink flowers sent up a heady cloud of scent.

“I’m so sorry, I wanted to make it to your morning tea, but I had to finish my rounds and there was this kid in the ED I had to take care of…” Aidan was at full speed in voice and motion.

I smiled reflexively and told him there was plenty of cake. I walked past him, headed back to the ward and my patients.

“Wait,” he said breathlessly. “When’s your last day?”

I stopped. “Today,” I answered.

“Have dinner with me again tonight?” he asked, anxiously.

I shrugged. I had no plans and was probably going to pick up some fish and chips again. “Okay.”

“I have to work till five, but I know your shift finishes earlier. Can I pick you up?” He sounded so eager.

I agreed. I headed up the corridor to my ward, whilst he entered the cafeteria in search of cake.