3

Lyndon

The city the Moon had led them to was dirty, smelly

The city the Moon had led them to was dirty, smelly. Crammed with thousands of humans and his wolf didn't like it one bit. Worst of all was the noise. Shrill voices talking on countless phones, people shouting at each other, whistling for cabs and cars honking at everything.

He wanted to leave. An itch that burned deep within his bones. Yet the goddess had decreed that they stay here until her daughter needed them.

Her daughter! Don still couldn't believe it. Nia was the moon goddess' daughter and they hadn't known.

'Maybe the woman we thought was Nia's mother was a nursemaid or something.' Will mindsent, as if he'd read Don's thoughts, or more likely he couldn't think of anything else.

After the confrontation, the goddess had translocated them to an airport where first-class tickets to New York awaited them. Once they'd landed, a limo picked them up and they were now en route to the condo where they'd await their Luna.

Only the traffic was so bad they barely moved. Was this how humans lived? He'd muted his hearing significantly and yet he could still hear the clutter that was humanity outside what should've been a soundproofed car.

'She looked too much like Nia to be a nursemaid.' He answered his Gamma.

'You're right.' He agreed. 'Then how is Nia the Moon's daughter?'

'I don't know, I'm sure we'll find out at some point.'

Will huffed at the answer and looked out his window. "When do you suppose we'll get there?" He asked the driver since the partition wasn't up.

"Thirty minutes sir, it's rush hour so everyone's on the road." The driver answered.

'Sir?' Will questioned. 'We're college-aged unless humans have a different school system.'

'It's the money he's respecting.' Don reasoned. 'Humans are obsessed with it and treat those with money as if they're kings.'

'I'd forgotten some humans hoard wealth for themselves. I wonder how their society survives.'

'We'll find out soon enough.'

'I already hate the human world.' Will stated.

'We won't be here long.'

'We hope.'

Soon enough they pulled up in front of an apartment high rise. It was built in some classic style Don couldn't care enough to recall. A red portico with a golden sigil stretched from the main door to the curb. The sun didn't even touch them as they got out.

Porters came to take their backpacks from the trunk as if they were incapable of carrying them. And why would they need two porters? Don wondered.

Will, who was the more personable, struck up a conversation with one of the porters whilst Don tipped their driver. One thing he knew about the human world, New York, in particular, was that everyone expected a tip for doing their job.