6

Olivia

The latent power inside her was agitated, painfully so

The latent power inside her was agitated, painfully so. It roused, yet something kept it at bay, some self-preservation she couldn't reason. Still, it fought to arise.

The darkness inside her deepened, a hole cracking at the edges even as it sunk into the pits of her soul. She sobbed, her hand going to clutch at her heart as if that would revive it. The organ was now a dead weight constricting every nerve her body had.

Why wasn't she dead?

She gasped a choking sob and for a moment she took in the liquid form of sunlight. It was a scent she couldn't explain, pure oxygen that went to her heart to revive its death. The power inside her rested as that sweet scent overwhelmed her.

Then just as sudden, it was gone and the void inside her felt even darker. "No." She moaned. Emptiness filled her, an absence that took all her senses.

Nothing mattered. All she could fixate on was the memory of him turning away from her. Of that painful dismissal, as if she was nothing when she should be everything.

How had he found it so easy to dismiss her, why would he want to? Why did it matter? Nothing really mattered after all. The world was an abyss waiting to swallow her into oblivion, where she would exist without any senses except her awareness of self. And the reality of him turning away from her.

Why did his rejection matter so much? Sure she was not the kind of girl guys turned away, but nothing had ever hurt this much. None of the guys she'd ever dated had touched her as much as his glance had.

It had been like he'd reached into her core and claimed her, as if the essence of who she was had reached out to claim him. Then he'd found it so easy to walk away, to negate what had just happened.

Liv wanted to find that same strength, to reduce him to insignificance but somehow it wasn't easy for her. So she curled into herself and let her emotions overwhelm her.

She could hear people talking to her and feel someone holding her. Hands soothed through her hair and all she wanted was for them to stop. They somehow weren't the right hands and her skin itched in response to the touch.

Trying to move away from whoever was holding her was futile as the arms only tightened around her. Why couldn't they leave her alone? Leave her to the death she was all too eager to embrace. Why hold her to a world that had lost its light and love?

People were not meant to live in darkness without love. So why bother continuing with living? It hurt too much, each breath like a laser spiralling down to her lungs. Her bones ached as if they were no longer settled in their place but fought to retain it. Her sight was gone, or maybe she had her eyes closed. Even her skin didn't feel like it belonged to her and her hearing was too sharp for comfort. Yet she couldn't reason any of what she heard.