5

Lyndon

Don couldn't get her eyes out of his mind

Don couldn't get her eyes out of his mind. Those liquid brown pools seemed to have etched themselves so deep into his psyche, claiming a part of him he hadn't known existed.

He ached, somewhere so deep inside he couldn't even name what part it was. A throbbing ache full of despair and loss that seemed to want to bury him under its weight. He felt restless, a need to act riding him but he had no idea what to do. Something was missing, unfinished. It was all he could do not to scream.

It made no sense unless he'd found his mate. But could that Human be his mate? Werewolves and Humans were not compatible. It made no sense that he couldn't stop thinking about her eyes. Made no sense that he wanted to seek her out. He wouldn't though.

What was the point?

Yet all he wanted was to see her again, to touch her porcelain skin, feel its softness. He wanted to taste her cupid lips, feel their soft heat rushing against his own. To run his hand through her auburn hair.

Bloody goddess! What was wrong with him? Were males periodically visited the small Human towns around their territories to sate their needs with Human girls. None of the girls he'd been with though, had ever drawn him as much as she did.

Still, there was no way a Human could be his mate. Her soul wouldn't have the same ability to reach out to his, to bond on a spiritual level as the Mythkind did. So why couldn't he keep her out of his head? Why did the idea of not seeking her out rend his heart?

"Okay, what's wrong with you?" Will asked.

"What?" Don started.

"You've been spaced out ever since we got back. What gives?"

He couldn't lie, Weres could smell a lie a mile away and evasion wasn't part of Don's character. He wasn't sure he wanted his friend to know though. Something in him wanted to keep the girl secret, just for himself.

Which was reason enough to tell his friend, he reasoned. He met Will's questioning gaze. "That girl," he started. "The one who was coughing in the lobby." His friend nodded. "She calls to me."

Will's eyes widened until they resembled saucers. "The Human?"

"Yes."

"That's..."

"Yeah."

"She can't be...?"

"I don't know."

"But Humans and Weres can't mate."

"I know."

"So what are you going to do?"

"I don't know," Don said once again. "What can I do?"

"Find out for sure," Will suggested.

Don got up and paced to the bar, hating the fact that human alcohol wouldn't even come close to giving him a buzz. He wasn't much of a drinker but this was the kind of situation that called for it.