10

Olivia

Once again she sat in front of her mirror and looked at her reflection, but it was worse this time

Once again she sat in front of her mirror and looked at her reflection, but it was worse this time. This time she knew she was not human. Well, aside from a healthy dose of denial.

Liv shuddered as she remembered that she'd actually bit Don. What had she been thinking? It was the most embarrassing thing she'd ever done. Her eyes scanned her face, taking in her porcelain complexion and the amber eyes that she'd always thought were unique. Another word for unnatural, she realised.

Baring her teeth she examined them for what felt like the thousandth time. They looked the same, her canines as blunt as any other human's. Only she could vividly remember the feel of them piercing through Don's fragile skin. There had been a sense of power, of wild freedom, of completion.

A shiver raced down her spine as she remembered the exultant feeling she'd had, the primal joy, unlike anything she'd ever known. Part of her wanted to experience it again, to feel the strong bond with him again. Another part was scared at how much she seemed to need him, to crave him.

Her eyes met her mirrored gaze and took in the haunted scared aspect reflecting back at her. All the horrors the alpha had told them were written in the amber depths. The helplessness that had kept her tossing through the night just as much as the emptiness of missing her mate had.

An involuntary laugh escaped her at that. A mate! She was already thinking as the werewolves did. And she knew why. The power she'd only ever glimpsed was like a force that was now a part of her no matter how much she wanted to go back to what had been. Her wolf, she now realised.

It was strong, surging through her being with radiant strength she felt was just a spark away from igniting her and consuming her. At the same time, she wanted to jump up for joy, to run and feel the wind against her, in her hair. She had a primal need to howl at the moon whose rays seemed to sear her like the sun sometimes did.

What was she going to do? How was she going to reconcile her reality? Liv didn't want to leave her life. She was honest with herself to know that she couldn't live as werewolves did in their forest all close to nature and using banana leaves. She was a city girl and would never rough it. But then there was that whole 'the king would kill you' clause in the whole werewolf debacle.

How was this her life?

Liv drew her legs up onto the seat of her chair and hugged them to her as her heart broke anew and the recriminations came full circle. She needed to get out of here, she realised. Even though she hadn't slept, she had more energy than she'd ever had.

Standing up, she went into her closet, took out a pair of sweats and put them on. She didn't have any idea where she was going but she just wanted out. It was like the walls were closing in on her as if a profound itch had found its way deep into her skin and she couldn't scratch it. A drive to move.