8

Olivia

Breathing was becoming laborious, Liv was doing her best not to show her mother just how hard it now was

Breathing was becoming laborious, Liv was doing her best not to show her mother just how hard it now was. She didn't want to go back to the hopelessness that had gripped her without her mate. All she wanted was to be in his arms, to reassure herself that he really was with her.

Only she couldn't hurt her mother even more than she already had. So Liv kept still as that low level of agony shook her bones. As her mother argued with her mate. She could feel his patience slip, feel him holding onto it with all he had.

It was like she was inside him, aware of him at an instinctive level that she didn't even have to ask. Was he as aware of her, even more so? The thought of him feeling or maybe knowing the pain she was in was painful. As if he was more important to her than herself. It didn't make sense.

Mum..." Liv pleaded even as her father nodded his head.

Her mother finally allowed him to take her, he sat down on her bed with her secure in his arms. Liv savoured the feel of his arms around her for a moment before looking up to him, he smiled his reassurance. She returned a strained and fearful one. "You'll be okay." He promised.

What felt like sparks of flames danced against their skin from where they touched. Even though it was weird, they relaxed her. "Okay." She whispered.

He closed his eyes, concentrating on the amulet he held in his hand. She felt a soothing heat seeping to her body. Until then, she hadn't realised how cold she had been. She found herself shivering uncontrollably, her teeth chattering.

A pained sound reached her ears from her mother, so low she shouldn't have been able to hear it. It was as if her senses came alive, as if she'd existed in a world without colour and for the first time she was aware of it. She took a deep breath and caught the scents that were in the room.

She could scent fear, isolate it to her mother. Apprehension came from her father and her friend Mandy was a mixture of nerves. The most telling though was her friend's father, he didn't smell human. How she knew the scent wasn't human she couldn't say. It was somehow too clean, like the scent from an old mountain long forgotten.

How could that even be a scent? Yet it was.

She opened her eyes and met his. "I never got your name." She whispered, her throat feeling dry as if she hadn't spoken a word in years.

"Lyndon." Her mate replied. "Everyone calls me Don."

"Olivia," she replied. "Everyone calls me Liv."

"Hie Liv." He smiled down at her, a small smile but it lit up his face until he looked even more handsome than he already was.

"Is she okay?" Her mother interrupted, anxiety in her voice.

With reluctance Don put her back on her feet before taking a step back from her. Liv wanted nothing more than to be in his arms again but she understood her mother's need. So she smiled and went to her. With ease she went into her mother's arms and hugged her. Aware of her new strength, she held back where she might've used more of it.