Halloween

It was a pretty stormy halloween. The sky was completely black, raining down raindrops the size of knitting needles as well as the ocasional burst of lightning illuminating the grey clouds that occupied it.

Skips' minivan was fairly cozy compared to outside as it made it's way down the windy woodland road, and it's eight enhabitants were thankful for that. Benson, Pops, Fives, Muscleman, Thomas, Mordecai, Rigby and Skips were returning from another halloween party pretty far outside of town. It had been pretty wild this year round, with everyone apart from Thomas and Skips being at least a little tipsy. Skips was driving on top of the fact that he doesn't drink anyway and Thomas was too young.

As the minivan rounded a particularly sharp turn, Rigby was jolted into conciousness from his previous state of sleep. He took a moment to view his surroundings before letting out a big yawn. It was fairly dark in the back seats of the van which Mordecai and Rigby occupied, hence why Rigby was able to fall asleep so easily. Mordecai noticed this and acted quickly, throwing a rasin they were given instead of candy into his mouth. Rigby gagged and spat it out, right into Mordecai's face.

"Aww, sick, man!" Mordecai whispered, being considerate to the others who were sleeping in the van. Rigby sniggered before recieving a light punch to the shoulder.

"Hey, knock it off." He said drowsily while rubbing his arm. Even though the impact was light, it was still enough to hurt the small raccoon.

Mordecai wiped the saliva off of his chin and scowled at his friend. 

"You didn't need to spit it right in my face, dude." He scolded while he tended to the rest of his face. 

"You didn't need to throw it in my mouth." Right retorted while supressing another chortle.

"Gross, don't say it like that." Mordecai said with distaste before cracking a little smile. Rigby noticed that he had earphones in and contemplated pulling one out to listen before deciding that it would probably be best to ask.

"What are you listening to?" He questioned.

"You probably wouldn't like it, it's pretty indie." Mordecai responded. Rigby frowned and took the earphone out anyway, shoving it in his ear before Mordecai could protest. The music itself was pretty generic, but it was better than the utter silence otherwise. Also, it felt nice to know that he was hearing the same thing as Mordecai. It made him feel connected and safe in a way that it couldn't with other people. Tonight hadn't exactly gone his way.

Mordecai noticed that Rigby had just been staring bankly for a few minutes and decided to ask him about it.

"Are you alright dude?" He questioned. Rigby, snapped out of his daze, turned to Mordecai, lines of worry evident on his face.

"I'm fine." He said flatly. He obviously was not alright. The tone of voice that Mordecai had originally mistaken for drowsyness now seemed more like sadness. He decided that now wasn't the best time to press him for an answer.

Rigby continued to stare at the floor absently as Mordecai grew increasingly worried. Even at this time of night, Rigby was usually the most obnoxious one in the room, but right now that title belonged to benson for having the loudest snore. 

"Are you sure there's nothing bothering you?" Mordecai asked cautiously. Rigby once again turned his head, but this time there were tears in his eyes. Rigby then did something extremely out of character. He hugged Mordecai. If it were any other scenario, Mordecai would've pushed him away and laughed, but this seemed different.

"I messed up everything." Rigby said with a shaky voice. Mordecai cautiously wrapped his arms around Rigby as he felt the raccoon sob gently. 

"What happened, man?" He asked.

"I tried to kiss Eileen, but I was drunk, and she wasn't drunk and..." Rigby paused to take a breath and a little sob "She told me to get lost and that I was a freak."

Mordecai tightened his embrace of the raccoon as he listened. 

"I'm sure she'll talk to you again, dude." he said, trying to comfort him.

"She said she never wants to see me again." Rigby continued. Mordecai couldn't really think of a comeback for that one so instead he rubbed Rigby's back up and down.

The contact sent shivers down Rigby's spine, but the good kind. The moment made him once again feel that closeness, but it was much stronger this time. He relaxed a little as Mordecai continued to rub his back. Eventually the tears dried up and the sobbing stopped, but Mordecai didn't. He continued stroking up and down Rigby's back until Rigby felt warm all over, a pleasant feeling washing over him. Before he knew it, Rigby was letting out a low pitched purr, causing his body to vibrate ever so slightly.

Mordecai took note of this, but decided to leave the relentless bullying for later.

Rigby on the other hand was panicing. This wasn't supposed to happen with guys. Still, he clung on to the warm feeling inside and to Mordecai, eventually beginning to feel drowsy. 

Mordecai noticed Rigbys arms around him became limp, and upon further inspection, he was asleep. The sides of Mordecais mouth curled into a smile as he ceased his petting. He left one arm draped around Rigby's shoulders and propped his head up to look out of the window with the other.

Throughout all of their mishaps and adventures, they were always there for eachother, side by side, soul by soul.