Conversations

"Dude, can you turn that thing off?" Mordecai said, directed towards his best friend who was sitting on a beanbag in the middle of the spacious room, right next to the exercise trampoline he sleeps on.

"Why?" Rigby asked, not looking away from the handheld games console he was playing.

"Because it's loud." The blue jay responded, turning in his bed to face the mammal, his head resting on the back of his hand.

"So?" Rigby responded, still not taking his eyes off of the screen as his character was getting obliterated.

"I'm trying to sleep." Mordecai said sternly. Rigby looked up at his friend only when his character had been shot dead.

"Well maybe you shouldn't have broken yours." The raccoon taunted. Just the previous week, the avian had come into the room in a panic, going on about how he dropped his handheld down the toilet. "Plus, it's not even that late. It's only ten." Rigby added. Mordecai huffed and turned onto his back, placing his hands behind his head.

"That doesn't mean you have to have the volume all the way up." The blue jay grumbled.

"You're just jealous I'm not doing anything with you." Rigby said. 

"What?" Mordecai said quizzically, confused.

"You're jealous that I'm doing something on my own, and I don't need you to have fun.". That statement hit the avian like a tonne of bricks.

"No I'm not."

"Yeah you are." Rigby responded, turning back towards his game. "I can see it in your eyes whenever I talk to someone who isn't you. You get all jealous and try and tell them to go away as subtly as possible." the raccoon said. Mordecai's mouth hung agape, unsure of how to respond. What Rigby was saying was almost definitely true, but he had never noticed it until he pointed it out.

 "I... I guess I do." he admitted.

"I know you do." Rigby said, smirking.

"Sorry, dude. I never even realised I did that.".

"You don't need to be sorry." Rigby responded, turning back to the avian as he died once again in his game. "Makes me feel special, or some mushy junk like that.".

"What's that supposed to mean?" Mordecai asked, an eyebrow raised as he turned over to face his friend again.

"I dunno, really." Rigby replied "I guess it's because you're a pretty cool guy, so when you want to spend time with me... that makes me feel good about myself.". Mordecai pondered what the mammal said for a moment.

"Are you being real right now?" He asked, genuinely taken aback by the sincere message.

"Yeah." Rigby replied "Is there something wrong with that?".

"No. It's just... you're barely ever straight with me."

"Yeah, I'm bored of calling you names all the time." Rigby said. Mordecai's beak curved into a smile as he stared at the ceiling. The mammal had only said one good thing about him, but he felt about ten thousand times better about himself. "And for the record," Rigby started, rolling onto his trampoline and letting out a yawn "I think you're pretty hot.". Mordecai's furrowed his brow, sitting up slightly in his bed.

"What?" he said, a little more harshly than he meant to.

"Nothing." The mammal responded, pulling his blanket up over his body. Mordecai's face turned red as what the mammal had just said set in.

"Dude, you can't just say that and then pretend you didn't." Mordecai said, wanting answers. What he got, however, was the sound of light snores. The raccoons ability to fall asleep on command had saved him from having to explain any further.

Mordecai fell back, allowing his head to hit the cushy pillow with a thump.

He had a lot of thinking to do.