Anything

As the sun set over the distant city skyline, Rigby sat on the roof of the house, wearing a sweater to try and ward off some of the chilly autumn breeze. The mammal sat with his back against the house, his knees pulled up between his arms.

While it may have looked like he was admiring the beauty before him, his mind was miles away. He had recently made some revelations about himself that he didn't think he was quite ready to face yet. Those revelations were about his sexuality. 

See, Rigby has a best friend - Mordecai. The two met in kindergarten, and had been a part of each other's lives since then. They had periodically hung out with other people, but no one else ever really stuck by them apart from each other. 

They'd been through many tough break-ups with different girls, ending up right back next to each other every time, the other there to pick up the pieces. It was a cycle: Mordecai would obsess over a girl for months, she'd finally catch on, ask him out, then dump him a few weeks later when they got bored of him. For Rigby, he might date a girl for a while, but he never really felt a connection to any of them. He never felt like either of them were the person he wanted to settle down with for the rest of his life. This time, however, Rigby refused to date anyone. Mordecai tried to encourage him, but he had no intention of continuing. 

That brings us back to Rigby's revelations. Rigby did want to date someone, but that person was his best friend. This had confused him at first - Mordecai was a guy, and he was a guy, so he shouldn't want to date him. He should want to date a girl... right?

This was the predicament that the mammal was currently turning over in his head. Once, twice, maybe even a billion times. He shouldn't want to date him. It made no sense. However, the more he thought about it, the less he cared that it made no sense. He didn't just want to date his best friend, no - he was beyond that point. There was one long shower a few months ago where the mammal had fantasized a world where Mordecai was the father to his children, as if that were even possible.

Needless to say, the raccoon had fallen head over heels for his best friend. You could even say that he was in love with him. This had hit the mammal hard. He had almost stopped eating at one point, only to be coached back into it by Mordecai. He had made himself physically sick with anxiety, but Mordecai had soothed him.

These things combined just made him fall for the avian harder. The way that he would talk the mammal down from the brink of a mental breakdown, make him feel like he was worth more than he thought possible - these were the things that Rigby loved about him.

There was a problem, though. Rigby may have liked Mordecai, but Mordecai had never shown any interest of that sort in Rigby. Should I tell him? was the question at the forefront of Rigby's mind right now. He was unsure of how the bird would react - Would he care? Would he be mad? or... disappointed? 

All of this thinking was getting too difficult, so Rigby decided to up and head inside. The warmth did sound quite inviting after sitting out in the cold for so long.

The raccoon scurried along the roof, making his way back to the window which was left ajar. As he hauled himself in, a face turned to look at him from the bed.

"So that's where you've been." Mordecai said, a slight frown on his face.

"Yeah..." Rigby said, not really wanting to discuss further.

"I've been looking for you for ages, dude," the avian informed him "Tonight was meant to be movie night."

"Oh... sorry." The mammal replied, an apologetic smile on his face.

"What were you doing out there anyway? It's freezing outside." The avian asked.

"Uh... Watching the sunset?" The raccoon replied.