First Date

The feeling of being watched is a primal instinct. It's a defence mechanism meant to trigger anxiety, warning those who experience it of danger. Unfortunately in modern times, Mordecai and Rigby are almost always always being watched.

Whether it's their boss Benson peeking through the crack in his office blinds, or the hundreds of people they walk past on the sidewalk every time they go into town, there were always eyes all over the place.

However, holding another guy's hand in public seemed to amplify the amount of stares the two of them were getting. Mordecai let Rigby's hand slip out of his just as they passed the coffee shop where Margaret used to work. The two were making their way to the restaurant that Mordecai had booked for their first real date that night. The two had been official for about a week by that point, and Rigby wanted to do something in public.

The blue Jay felt uncomfortable almost as soon as he left the house. It felt like there was a million eyes around him, all gazing judgmentally towards the couple as they made their way down the sidewalk. After passing the coffee shop, Mordecai couldn't take it anymore.

Rigby tried to re-twine their fingers a few moments later, but was met with a closed palm. He looked up to his best friend to see him staring dead ahead, sweating like he was on the sun.

The raccoon stopped in his tracks as he noticed the taller one's discomfort.

"Are you alright?" He said softly. Mordecai stopped too, all of those eyes still surrounding him.

"Uh... Yeah." The avian responded, glancing around nervously.

"You look really nervous. And sweaty... it's kind of gross, actually." The raccoon mused. Mordecai's eyebrows knit together in a frown as he stared down at the person he loved so dearly. Realising that his joke hadn't been taken as such, he quickly added "Just kidding." Along with a little smirk.

At this, the avian's features softened. It was almost impossible for him to stay mad at the mammal these days.

"You're a jerk." He added before giving a very light playful punch to the raccoon's arm. They continued walking, but their fingers were no longer intertwined as they did so.

-----------

The restaurant that they were going to wasn't anything too fancy, but it was the best that the duo could possibly hope to afford without months of saving. There was a short queue at the door which they promptly skipped, opting instead for the table they booked earlier. 

Mordecai felt himself starting to sweat again as the waiter led them to their table. As soon as it came into view, he saw that it was the most typical table ever for a date. It was covered with a spotless white tablecloth, a candle standing tall right in the center of it. The avian gulped as they approached it, panic starting to set in.

"Uh- Could we get a different table? Like... a booth or something" The blue jay asked the waiter. He seemed momentarily surprised, given the fact that they had booked it.

"Yes, sir, but you'll need to wait five to ten minutes. We're busy tonight." The waiter responded. Mordecai felt his face cool down a bit as the waiter walked away, jotting something down on his notepad.

The couple proceeded to take a place at the end of the line. Rigby, however, was not happy.

"Dude, what the heck!" He said loudly.

"What?" Mordecai played dumb.

"That table was perfect!" The raccoon fumed. Mordecai's eyes darted back and fourth quickly, making sure that there weren't too many eyes on him and his boyfriend.