Bruised

This isn't how Rigby expected to be spending his Friday night. Battered, bruised, bleeding; however you want to put it, he wasn't in a good state.

He staggered his way up his best friend's driveway, not really sure of what else he could do. Having just gotten into his first real fight at school, he didn't exactly want to face the endless questions that would surely rain down upon him the second he entered his own home, and he knew that Mordecai's parents would be out for dinner like they always were at this time on a Friday.

He dragged the small box that Mordecai kept next to his front door for the expressed purpose of Rigby being able to reach the doorbell and pulled himself up onto it, almost not able to lift his arm due to the pain shooting up his back.

A few moments after he pushed the small button, he heard movement on the other side of the door. Seconds later, the door swung inward, revealing the face of Rigby's best friend, Mordecai. A face which almost immediately morphed into one of concern upon taking in the sight before him.

"Jeez, dude, what happened!?" The blue jay exclaimed.

"I got into a fight." Rigby replied. Quickly ushering the raccoon inside, Mordecai peeked out the door behind him, making sure there was no one following the smaller of the two. Shutting and locking it, the avian turned around to face the mammal slowly stumbling towards his couch.

"Could you elaborate on what happened past a fight?" Mordecai quizzed. Rigby pulled himself up onto the couch before responding.

"It was Jablonski." Hs sighed, refusing to make eye contact with the avian for fear of the look on his face.

"You picked a fight with Jablonski?!" Mordecai exclaimed. Rigby sighed and nodded as Mordecai sat next to him on the couch. "What were you thinking?" Mordecai said, his tone softening to disappointed instead of angry.

"He said some things." Rigby replied.

"What kind of things?" Mordecai asked, putting his hand on Rigby's shoulder in an attempt to comfort him, only to retract it when said mammal winced in pain.

"Its nothing, man." Righy sighed.

"Look at me." Mordecai said. Rigby did as he was told and gazed towards the avian next to him.

Mordecai noticed a lot of minor bruises, a cut on his left cheek which was slowly oozing blood, and the fact that his left eye was swollen.

"He got you good, dude." Mordecai sighed, gently turning Rigby's face to the left to make sure that he wasn't missing any injuries. Upon confirming that, he stood up, offering a hand to help Rigby do the same.

"Come on, let's get you cleaned up." The avian said. Rigby gratefully took his hand, missing the touch when it was over. The pair made their way through to the bathroom, Mordecai checking behind him every few seconds to make sure that the raccoon was still following him.

"Sit here." Mordecai said, patting the closed toilet lid. Rigby, with some effort, pulled himself up onto the seat and sat down. Mordecai rummaged around in the cupboard above the sink, gathering some antiseptic spray and cotton pads. Stepping back over to his friend, Mordecai applied some of the spray to the pad and knelt down to the level of the mammal, gently pushing up his chin to get a better look at his face.

Rigby's heart seemed to beat faster then, but he could just be imagining things.

Mordecai slowly dabbled the pad on Rigby's cut, earning a wince from him.

"So..." Mordecai started, trying to take Rigby's mind off of the pain "what exactly did Jablonski say?"

Rigby diverted his eyes towards the floor for a moment even though he was facing directly towards Mordecai, unsure of what to say. Mordecai picked up on this and stopped fiddling with Rigby's face for a moment.

"It was nothing, really." Rigby replied, still refusing to make eye contact.

"So you got ths shit beaten out of you for nothing?" Mordecai asked, his skepticism clear.

"Yeah..." Rigby trailed off.

"Come on, dude. What ever you said to him, I'm not going to be mad at you. Hell, he probably deserved it." Mordecai said, finally dropping his left hand from Rigby's face.

Rigby remained quiet for a moment before letting out a murmer to quiet for Mordecai to hear.

"Come on, talk to me." Mordecai said.

"He called you the F word." Rigby repeated, louder this time. Mordecai was taken aback a little; here was Rigby - the person who almost never cares about other people - getting himself beaten up over someone calling Mordecai a name.

"You mean fucker?" Mordecai asked. Rigby shook his head.

"The other one." He said. Realisation sank in for Mordecai.

"Faggot?" He asked. Rigby only nodded. "Dude..." Mordecai said. He slowly pulled Rigby into a hug, careful not to squeeze too tight. "You're an idiot." He said.

"I know..." Rigby sighed, hugging back.

"Why were you so mad, anyway?" Mordecai asked, going back to tending to Rigby's wounds.

"I didn't want him calling you that in case maybe you are... y'know... gay." He finished the sentence quietly. "But maybe that's just wishful thinking.".

Realising what he just said, Rigby turned pink in the face. Mordecai only paused for a moment, before resuming with a smile.

"You're such a dork." Mordecai said affectionately.

A few minutes later, Rigby was cleaned up, and had a small bandaid on his cheek. Rigby toyed with the edges of it whilst Mordecai put all of his supplies away. After that, Mordecai scooped Rigby up in his arms, causing considerable surprise from the smaller one.

"Relax, I'm bringing you through to my room." Mordecai answered preemptively. This only quickened Rigby's already rushing heartrate.

"Why?" Rigby stammered.

"To watch movies, dummy."

Feeling considerably embarrassed, Rigby remained quiet for the remainder of the short trip to Mordecai's room.

By the time they had chosen a movie, got some popcorn, and given Rigby's mom a call to let her know that he was staying over tonight, it was well past dark outside. Rigby slid under the covers on the right side of the bed, with Mordecai getting in on the left. They flicked the movie on and started watching, when Rigby felt Mordecai's arm wrap around him. Surprised, he looked towards his best friend, surprised when he felt himself being pulled closer. Instead of questioning this and fighting back, Rigby just leaned into him, allowing himself to get lost in the moment, not worrying about what this all meant.

The next day, he learned how euphoric it us to wake up in someone else's arms.