Chapter 7

Half an hour.

That was thirty minutes, or eighteen hundred seconds since Newt had left with Gally and Thomas.

Yes, she had been counting.

And Emma also counted nine hundred and fifteen steps, twenty one hundred heartbeats, and four times she'd had to go to the bathroom since then.

During that time, she had to pass these three boys who couldn't have been any older than her, who were continually making comments about her body to each other every time she walked by.

Now, they probably thought Emma couldn't hear them. But, being an enhanced individual like she was, she could.

But the last time, was the last straw for her.
Stalking her way back to them after leaving their restroom area for her fourth time, she stood in front of the three, arms folded and fuming.

"You want to repeat that to my face boys?"

She didn't care if they hadn't seen an attractive girl in five years, Emma didn't need to deal with a bunch of narrow minded slintheads.

"Nah no reason to get offended babe, I was just sayin' I would just really like to get a piece of that ass," one of them grinned.

Already Emma was tired and disgusted of the boy's cocky and self absorbed attitude, but she was going to give him and his buddies a chance to make up for their comments.

"I'm taken asshat," she flashed her ring.
"And even if I wasn't, I wouldn't even be caught cranked out with the likes of you. Now, I believe I deserve an apology from you three, if something that simple isn't too complicated for some ignorant dimwits such as yourselves."

It seemed like her words had made them speechless.

After a moment, she simply huffed and turned to walk off, annoyed.

"Bitch!"
One of them growled.
Suddenly, she felt a hand on her shoulder.

Spinning around, she threw the jerks hand off her shoulder, dropped to the floor, and swept his legs out from under him, making him fall flat on his butt.

His two friends ran forwards to help him, and Emma dodged one and used his bulk to swing him around, smacking his face into a concrete column.

With the other she simply ducked under his arm, grabbed ahold of his wrist, and wrenched his arm behind his back, the  kicked the back of his knees, making him fall forward on top of his groaning friends.

The boy who had grabbed her shoulder tried to speak, but Emma shook her head, interrupting whatever he had been about to say.
She gave him the most condescending look she could give, as she shook her head.
"No, don't speak, please. You'll just lower the intelligence of the entire building."

Standing up straight, she sighed, wishing for the millionth time that Newt and the others were back already.
Turning to leave, she was met with the disapproving expression of Simon, Lawrence's right hand man.

Shuck.

"What the hell's going on here?!"

Immediately the three boys scrambled to get up, talking over one another and shouting accusations in Emma's direction.

"Shut it!" Simon glared at the four of them. "I've just about had it with you three lazy louts. And you," he turned his burning gaze on Emma,
"I don't know what you've got to do with this, but I'll be taking all of you to Lawrence."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"As you well know, I do not tolerate dissent within our ranks," Lawrence said as he walked back and forth in front of them in the shadows of his private room. "Dissent, unrest, breeds chaos. Chaos, breeds disorder and disorder---"
He stabbed his cane in the direction of Emma and the three boys who'd been harassing her,
"---will never get us to where we need to be, in order to undermine WCKD.
You three, because you are a part of us, you know the repercussions.
Simon will handle your punishments.
As for the girl, I will deal with her personally."