Chapter 16

Anger rose in her like a wave, a huge crashing, swirling, pounding wave of seething rage.

Immediately taking a protective stance between her friends, Newt and the truck barreling towards them, the bullets being fired, she wasn't thinking of it as putting herself in danger, no, in fact this was quite the opposite.
It was as if, for one of the first times in her eighteen years of life, Emma felt in complete confidence with herself.

She knew what she had to do, and she knew how she was going to do it.

And it was though all the noise, internal and external, had been banished from her mind, leaving her in total calm and peace despite the situation they were in.

Emma could hear her brother and the others shouting for her, but it was almost as though she was underwater.
But this time, she wasn't drowning.

Oh no, she was far from it.

Energy tingled at her fingertips, swelling, rising in her chest, fueled by her anger and her desire to protect Newt, herself, and the others.

It was as though she had all the time in the world.

Bullets fired their direction stopped midair, clinking to the ground.
Being dark as it was, the men inside the vehicle couldn't really tell exactly what was happening, the only thing they knew was that their bullets weren't hitting their intended targets.

Reaching outwards with a clawed hand Emma forced the vehicle to stop when it was barely four feet from her.
The tires squealed as they spun, but it wasn't making any ground.

The driver seemed to be cursing as he slammed his hand on the dash, not seeming to be in the full realization of what was going on, though it appeared a few of them knew that whatever Emma was doing was not natural.

Abruptly the doors of the truck were flung open, and the occupants tossed out, hitting the brick walls of the alley so hard they crumpled to the asphalt unconscious.

"Shit, Emma," Bethany whistled.

Everyone else's faces were of a similar shocked expression.

"Get in guys," she sighed.
The energy was now reduced to a small trickle, but it was still there, just under the surface.

As her ears picked up more people headed their direction, probably drawn by the sounds of the screeching tires, and as the people came around the far end of the alley their group had been chased into Emma's voice raised to a panicked shout.

"GET IN THE BLOODY CAR ALREADY!"

"Alright, alright, no need to be so tense," Henry muttered, Sonya whacking the back of his head as they all hurriedly clambered into the vehicle, bullets already ricocheting off of the outside.

Emma held Newt to her as Harriet, who'd gotten in the driver's seat banged the door shut and floored the gas pedal.

"Its going to be okay love I've got you,"
She whispered into his ear, closing her eyes as the vehicle jumped over a particularly bumpy section of broken road.

Henry appeared to be solely concentrated on messing with what looked like a very tiny handgun.

"How's that little pea shooter supposed to help us?!"
Bethany yelped as she nearly hit her head on the ceiling.

"I live for the simple things," was all he muttered in response, before attaching something from his belt to the underside of his weapon.

Taking the WCKD vehicle was a faster option than running the rest of the way to the bridge on foot, but now they were really being chased.
Thankfully the windows and outsides were relatively bulletproof, otherwise they'd be in some serious trouble.