Chapter 18

"Shall I stay, would it be a sin?
If I, can't help, falling in love, with, you? If I can't help, falling in love with you?"

Singing softly under her breath, Emma leaned over, placing a gentle kiss on Newt's forehead.
For a few moments her hand lingered on his jaw, thumb rubbing his cheek as her eyes traced over his sleeping face.
Sighing she stood back up, walking over to the window in the back and pulling the curtains open above his bed.

Sitting back down in the old threadbare armchair next to where Newt lay, she had a book in hand, with her legs tucked underneath her.

She had sat in that same position for almost a week, for five days ever since they'd gotten to the safe haven, except for short trips to bathroom or showers.

On occasion Emma would venture outside for a bit for some fresh air but never really went beyond the front porch of the safe havens med hut.

Neither Newt nor Thomas had awoken since their arrival, they had both stirred a few times, though they still had yet to open their eyes.

Hope was there, a warmth behind her heart. And love.
There was alot she wanted, needed to tell him. Emma wouldn't say it out loud but it bothered her more and more with each day that passed and Newt hadn't woken up.

Even though that both Henry and Andrea had reassured her that he was okay, that Newt's body was simply just taking time to recover, she still worried.

Andrea had commented then about how lucky Emma and Newt were to have each other, which had made Emma smile.

She felt more than lucky. She just felt......really, incredibly happy to have him. Just thinking about Newt, his quirky grin, his laugh, the sound of his voice made her smile all the more.

And then in a few months, they would (possibly) have two little ones in their lives.

That thought alone made her time with happiness at the possibility.
Now, Emma understood, at least from conversations with Andrea and a few other older women that taking care of one baby, let alone two would be an immense, yet amazing responsibility.

But she was still so happy at the prospect.
She and Newt were free to begin their own lives now, and soon they would have their own little family.

Emma had been looking at the images of the baby again, the second day at the safe haven when Andrea, interested, had asked to see them.

Reading the papers, looking over the images, the woman's brows had steadily become more and more furrowed until Emma was worried they were going to knit themselves together.

Andrea had presented her theories to the young woman beside her, and initially they had both been a little shocked. It should have been too early in Emma's pregnancy to be able to tell, but there was a good chance she was carrying twins.

Two.

More often than not now she spent her time daydreaming about what the twins would look like, what their genders would be.

A boy or a girl?
Or, two of the same?

They would definitely have Newt's eyes, no doubt about it. One of them would most likely have their fathers golden blonde hair, and she could already imagine one with Newt's mannerisms either driving her to her wits end, or constantly making her laugh.
Probably a little bit of both.

And the rest of their friends had been surprised, but happy for her and Newt. Frypan had been ecstatic of course, and Emma could totally imagine him along with Gally, Minho and Alex becoming the overprotective uncles.