Acquaintance [Sandy]

Sandy held onto his backpack as he ran down the dark, eerie tunnels with Nita by his side. He could hear the sounds of fighting and yelling behind him, but he didn't dare turn around. He knew that Rob and the others could at least give them time to get away. That was for sure.

After running for about 2 minutes, Sandy started feeling a little light headed, and he was surprised to find Nita still keeping pace with him. Sandy had less fatigue than most people due to his powers but it seems as though she was almost used to this kind of thing.

"Hey I think we can stop now!" Sandy said when he stopped behind Nita. She abruptly stopped as well and walked back to him, embarrassed.

"Sorry. This stuff get me going. I had to chase lot of different kind of speedy animals where I come from." She took a seat on the ground of the cave they had arrived in, and Sandy decided to sit next to her after some hesitation.

"About that... Where exactly are you from?" Sandy said while not fully looking at her.

"I'm from my home!" Nita said enthusiastically.

"Well I know that! What is your home called I mean."

"Oh! I'm sorry. I've been told I'm not very good with words..." She said while looking down.

Sandy couldn't help but laugh a little. Isn't that obvious. "I think you speak fine Nita. Now what is your home called exactly?"

Nita looked back up at Sandy with a slight smile. "Thanks... My home is what we call forest I think. That what Bo say anyways."

After a few minutes of explaining each other's stories despite Nita's illiterate nature, Sandy realized that they were even more similar than they first thought. Sandy lived with his tribe back home in the desert (who were now out to kill them), and Nita lived with her tribe in the so-called forest, who seemed to be a much smaller group of individuals than the Sand People.

After their discussion they decided to continue forward at a slower pace. Though Nita said she had lost the way back to her home and didn't recognize any of the tunnels they were going through, Sandy was sure that there had to be more openings than just the two that led to their homes.

"Sandy, I think I hear something." Nita eventually said, clearly trying to listen in on a particular noise.

Sandy stood still and listened as well. All he could hear was the far off sound of dripping water. "Um... I don't hear anything very interesting..."

Suddenly Nita widened her eyes and looked over to Sandy. "I can hear voices!"

"Wow. I knew you were crazy but not that crazy..." Sandy mumbled.

"No, I mean I think someone is ahead! Come on!" She grabbed his hand and ran toward wherever the sounds of voices was coming from.

Sandy didn't particularly like being dragged by the hand himself, but he didn't argue with it.

Nita stopped when they reached a solid metal pillar and let go of Sandy's hand. Now he could hear the sound, and it seemed to be coming from behind the metal.

"Stand back Sandy. It my turn to show you something cool." Nita said with a face that almost scared Sandy. "BEAR!"

Suddenly, a light appeared on Nita's necklace and she grabbed onto it. Almost instantly the figure of the beast from Sandy's dream solidified in front of Nita.

"ATTACK!" Nita yelled and pointed at the pillar. The "Bear" reacted straight away and slashed at it three times, cutting a large hole in the metal. It revealed a ladder that led up a long shaft. "Thanks Bruce." She said quickly, then the bear evaporated back into the necklace.

Sandy just stood there dumbfounded, while Nita looked at him like she just passed an easy test.

"You just... I know you said he was in the necklace... I didn't think... You could do that..."

"Yep! I'm not entirely useless after all huh?" She stuck her tongue out at him and began to climb up the ladder.

Sandy just sighed and smiled as he followed behind her. At least this is better than being around Crow...

Once the two reached the top of the ladder, there was a cylinder lid that they pushed over. Above ground around them was a narrow road of some kind and several large buildings off to the side. They could finally hear and see where the voices were coming from.

"Jessie! I told you that's the wrong spot. You're supposed to put that here, remember?"

"I know Brock, I'm sorry but for me building a rocket launcher is a little harder than a turret okay--" The girl eventually noticed them after a double-check, and pointed.

How rude... I'm pretty sure you're supposed to kindly greet strangers from random holes...