Chapter 60

Planet: Eteran, Sanctum Hospital

First Insurgency War

RAYAN

Locked into a room and forced to listen to the clock tick down.

Rayan huffed and folded his arms. I hope Aelius is right. I hope I wasn't too late with my warning. Fists clenched, he turned his back on the door which trapped him in a sterile prison cell. He punched the cupboards which never gave in to his strength. He tucked his hand against his side and scoffed. I could break out, but... I don't want to use the abilities of the Elites.

Nothing left to do but wait, he slumped into the chair and toyed with his jacket. He rested his head against the tough pillow and released the smoke in his lungs which burned his lips.

I should've asked them for the types of defences they had. Rayan nodded but fought the dark embrace. If they would've told me... He allowed the black hole to consume him and sirens echoed. It pounded against his temples with stubborn fervour. He shifted and spotted the blinding light through the metal shutters of the windows.

Explosive fire rang the world in the distance, and with his grip tight on Ava, he failed his promise.

One single moment to change everything. One tick of the clock.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

His heart hammered with the SAI's bloody countdown. His finger grasped the hem of her shirt. His hand inches from James'. In the next moment, the door slammed on his face and sent him back to the ground.

His companion left to him was the ceaseless ringing.

I'm so sorry, her voice whispered over the explosions, unwavering but full of fear. Heat washed over his arm when he touched the image of her.

No, stop, we can figure this out.

Ava turned into James whose eyes blazed with crimson.

Stop! I should've—

Alarms screamed, louder.

"LOCKDOWN INITIATED!"

Lights clicked off behind his eyelids.

Rayan fell out of the chair when a distant explosion sent a shockwave through the foundations of the building. He crawled onto his feet and peered around the dark room. That was nearby. He headed for the security panel and clicked it to release himself without resorting to another method. It continued to flash the signal for a lockdown, so he took a step back to assess his surroundings.

He waited for the heat, but none came.

He waited for help, none came.

Another, chained explosion rocked the walls, and he steadied himself on the chair to prevent the fall onto his ass.

Waves of curling air swept through the atmosphere.

An ominous groan sounded from the ceiling. He tapped his compearl, but it fritzed in response. Nothing but white noise, the same sound which responded to Mom when she called for reinforcements, for help.

His mind echoed with the dissonant scratchy tones. He stepped back from the door when the firelight crackled underneath. Another explosion, not so later after the second and first, danced in a circumference and blasted the hot hair into his face.

Warmth brought the void hells and smothered him in its unforgiving, ember embrace.

Fuck...