The Empty Child. Part 3

Italics is Gallifreyan
'Quotation marks are thoughts'
"Speech marks are talking"
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~
The Guardian's P.O.V
Me, the Doctor and Nancy are at some place called Limehouse Green. The Doctor uses some binoculars to scan the area as Nancy explains how they bouillon the fence over night once the bomb dropped and how we should go and see this doctor at the hospital. It's strange she doesn't want us to go in. From what I can guess, I would say that Nancy is scared, she lost something or someone to this object.
Nancy appears to be walking away, so I take the opportunity to ask, ": Can I ask you a question? Who did you lose?"
"What?"
"The way you look after all those kids. It's because you lost somebody, isn't it? You're doing all this to make up for it." I made sure that my voice was gentle. I know how sensitive these topics are for some people.
"My little brother. Jamie. One night I went out looking for food. Same night that thing fell. I told him not to follow me, I told him it was dangerous, but he just. He just didn't like being on his own."
"What happened?" This stupid question was asked by the Doctor.
"In the middle of an air raid? What do you think happened?"
I chuckled, quickly drawing attention to my self , and looked around and not facing either the Doctor or Nancy.
"Amazing." This clearly confused Nancy, but not so much the Doctor.
"1941. Right now, not very far from here, the German war machine is rolling up the map of Europe. Country after country, falling like dominoes. Nothing can stop it. Nothing. Until one, tiny, damp little island says no. No. Not here. A mouse in front of a lion. You're amazing, the lot of you. Don't know what you do to Hitler, but you frighten the hell out of me. Off you go then do what you've got to do. Save the world." My small speech left Nancy, well, speechless and she walked away contemplating my words.
This time I grab the Doctor's hand and lead him to the hospital. He looks deep in thought, probably curious at the way I have acted all night, and I'm not giving him the chance to ask questions. Not yet at least.

The Doctor uses the sonic to get through the gates and when we enter a room it is full of patients, all lying down, with gas masks on their face. Curious.
I separate from the Doctor and begin observing their injuries.
A voice, old and tired knocks me out of my thoughts "You'll find them everywhere. In every bed, in every ward. Hundreds of them."
I let the Doctor do the talking as I eye the old doctor, not trusting him.
"Yes, I saw. Why are they all wearing gas masks?"
"They're not. Who are you?"
"I'm, er. Are you the doctor?" I had to turn towards the patients to hide my smirk.
"Doctor Constantine. And you are?" Constantine, huh. 'Still don't like him. He's hiding something. No. Something is wrong with him.'
"Nancy sent us."
"Nancy? That means you must've been asking about the bomb."
"Yes"
Once again I zone out and continue to investigate the patients, but I don't touch them. I notice that multiple have exactly the same scar.
"It's like a disease" I mutter to myself " they must have all got infected when they came in contact with something."
A loud cough causes me to turn around. It's doctor Constantine. He continues to cough and sits down and I notice a cut on his hand, just like the patients.
I slowly walk round to the Doctor and pull him back slightly by his jacket. He looks at me confused, I don't look at him and just focus on the old man who is currently a threat to the only other living Time Lord in the universe, I don't care what anyone thinks I am going to let my natural instincts take over.
I let the Doctor go when he examines the patients with his sonic.
"Conclusions?"
This time I answer "Massive head trauma, mostly to the left side. Partial collapse of the chest cavity, mostly to the right. There's some scarring on the back of the hand and the gas mask seems to be fused to the flesh, but I can't see any burns." Both look shocked at my emotionless tone . I give the old doctor a knowing look by casing a glance to his hand.
"Examine another one." I tell the Doctor.
"Impossible."
"They all have the same injuries. Right down to the scar in the back of their hand." I whisper the last bit to the Doctor and he sees the scar on Constantine's hand. I hope he saw it anyway.
"How did this happen? When did it start?" The Doctor questioned.
"When the bomb dropped, there was just one victim."
"Dead?" Me and the Doctor asked at the same time.
"At first. His injuries were truly dreadful. By the following morning, every doctor and nurse who had treated him, who had touched him, had those exact same injuries. By the morning after that, every patient in the same ward, the exact same injuries. Within a week, the entire hospital. Physical injuries as plague. Can you explain that? What would you say was the cause of death?" I felt rather proud of myself. I got the fact that it spread like a disease. I let the Doctor guess the cause of death, but I knew that there wasn't one. Nothing can bring back the dead, no matter how much we wish for it. You can never regain what you have lost, especially not a life.
"Alright. What was the cause of death?"
"There wasn't one. They're not dead." As he ends his sentence Constantine hits a bin with his walking stick. The sudden commotion causes the infected patients to sit up in their beds. I grab the Doctor's hand , and I stand slightly in front of him, eyes wide.
I can feel the adrenaline take its affect, my hands begin to warm up from the regeneration energy that begins to gather. Ready to escape to protect my new family. My hands slightly begin to glow a subtle gold.
The Doctor can obviously feel my hand warm up and notices the energy beginning to surround my hands and looks slightly alarmed as he must believe that I'm hurt. His expression quickly morphs I to one of frustration and confusion as he can't seem to work anything out about me.
A voice suddenly makes me lose concentration, causing me to calm down. 'We have a lot to talk about when we get back to the Tardis.' It's the Doctor's voice. He sounds very serious but not angry or mean, more certain and shocked. I give a nod that could only be noticed by him.
I'm still confused how I didn't know we could communicate this way. I wonder what he's heard? Could he hear my deductions about the infected? Obviously not as he didn't react or acknowledge the new information. I'm going to have to be more careful...this will be fun. Must be some sort of feature of the parental bond.