Chapter 18

he tasted her neck
while another
looked on.

- Frank Watson

Lana

I place down the files as I kick my heels off and fall back on the chair; today has been a very long day despite the fact that it was New Year's Eve.

The hospital is open twenty-four/seven which I'm not sure how I feel about because it requires me to work every single day. However, it's my job and I like it.

"Hello darling."

My eyes shot open as the familiar voice filled my ears, instantly providing me with the feeling of home. I opened my eyes to see dad stood at the doors of my office. As soon as my slowly brain registered to what was happening, I get on my feet and practically run to him.

"Dad!" I exclaimed as I wrap my arm around his neck, "When did you come back?"

Dad spent Christmas here with us before he flew out of New York to have time to himself. He left that Christmas night and informed me that he wouldn't be back until after New Years but I guess I wasn't paying much attention to what he was saying about coming back.

Dad engulfed me into an embrace as he chuckled before he pulled away. I placed a kiss on his cheek and I hugged him again. I knew he only left for a matter of few days but I deeply missed him. It was the fact that I was so used to seeing him every single day that when I didn't see him for one day, I felt so lonely.

"I've landed today and thought to drop by as I knew you would be at work." He says as he pulls away, "How is Amelia?"

"She's good," I nod my head and smile widely at him as I pull away, however I noticed that dad was not satisfied as tension settled on his face. "Dad... what happened?"

"Lana," he called out with a sigh, "you're a grown woman which is why I trust you enough to know what you're doing. I don't expect you tell me everything however, things regarding Amelia, I demand to know."

"Dad," my brows snap into a furrow as concern fills my voice, "what do you mean? What is going on?"

"I do not want Amelia anywhere near Ivan." He revealed and the tension that simmered between us just intensified ten times more. I felt my feet just shuffle as I felt the awkward silence fill us however, that was not bothering me. I was bothered because I wondered how he knew about Ivan even getting close to Amelia. I haven't really informed anyone about this so dad shouldn't have known unless I told him. "For the matter of fact, I do not want him anywhere near you." He continued in a way that was obvious that he loathed Ivan.

"Dad... I-I'm... how do you know?" I falter,

"Stephan told me." His face dropped into concern as he caresses my arm, "Darling, he is worried about you. If you need to speak to us, please speak to us."

I pull away from him and immediately feel the blood just rushing to my brain,
"Dad, no. There is nothing I want to say to Stephan or you." I bit my tongue to stop myself from saying anything but I continue anyway, "How am I supposed to take Amelia away from Ivan when she is technically his daughter?" I reason only to realise how my reasoning wasn't a good enough excuse to let Ivan back in my life. I honestly don't know why I found myself looking for excuses to keep Ivan in my life again, not after what he had caused me and dad was right.

So why was I fishing for excuses?

Just by my statement that defended Ivan in his eyes, his face morphed into a type of anger that I haven't seen in a while.