7.4

Avengers: Endgame - Chapter Four: "Empathy"

   DIANA stood by the seaside, her hand placed lightly over the railing as she stared at the clear waters

   DIANA stood by the seaside, her hand placed lightly over the railing as she stared at the clear waters. Glancing up at the foggy orange sky, she could almost hear the cries of fear and pain from galaxies far away; the voices of the half remaining universe that pleaded with the Gods to bring back their families, or friends. Her heart tore in two as she felt the devastation as though it were her own. 

But that's what she had to bare. Her empathetic abilities would never make loss so easy to soothe. More than anybody else in the galaxy, Diana felt the guilt, the pain, heartbreak, not just from herself, but from the whole world. 

She took one more deep breath before turning away from the view, ready to return to the compound for their scheduled team meeting. 

   ENTERING through the back door, Diana removed her coat, folding it over her arm. She noticed the lack of voices and made a turn, heading towards the main seating area. She must've been late and missed the meeting.

"You know, I keep telling everybody they should move on and... grow." Steve's voice filled the hall as she approached the room slowly.

"Some do. But not us."

"If I move on, who does this?" Natasha's voice replied.

"Maybe it doesn't need to be done." Steve responded as Diana entered the room where she spotted Natasha sitting down at the dining table; opposite her was Steve. 

Natasha seemed to be deep in thought, but gave an almost unnoticeable smile as soon as she noticed Diana's concerned look when she entered. 

"I used to have nothing. And then I got this."

"This job... this family. And I was... I was better because of it. And even though... they're gone... I'm still trying to be better." She confessed, a small smile upon her face as she thought back to all those years of joy and happiness she had with the avengers; her family.

"Everyone at SHIELD was skeptical about a former assassin joining- Hell, some people would treated me like scum because of it." Natasha explained, a confused look reaching Steve's face.

"Then there was you, Diana." Steve turned around to see Diana standing where he stood moments ago when he came to check up on Natasha.

 "You were so... nice. I thought that it might've been some kind of joke. You offered to buy me lunch, you helped me navigate my way when I was lost. You cared for me when no one else would."

"And I didn't deserve it." She let out a pain filled laugh, wiping away a few more tears.

"You set me on a path to become better, and everyday I thank you for it- You and Clint."