Power-Tripping

Kai and Wu made their way down the monastery halls, Kai walking behind Wu in an attempt to avoid his Sensei looking into his eyes.

But Kai's attempt was proved unsuccessful when Sensei Wu turned around and came to a stop. "Kai, what did you do to make your eyes red?"

"I... I don't know" Kai stumbled.

"Kai, look at me. Everything will be alright."

Kai peered through his eyebrows at Wu, "I was just trying to move the fire, but it- it didn't work. I thought that was just the way it was supposed to go but then Zane gave me this weird look. So we headed home and what I thought was true."

"And what is that Kai?"

"There was something wrong! I'm a freak Sensei!"

There was a long period of silence as Wu tried to compile the best way to address the situation.

"Kai," he said gently. "You are not a freak or a monster. You are simply an elemental master whose learning-"

"But when does that end? When do I finally learn everything?! Sensei I've been your student for years and I still feel like I've learned nothing. It's not even your fault! I'm just... not a good pupil."

"Kai-"

"Want to know what the worst part is? Everyone around me seems to be more confident in their abilities, even Nya who learned late! And when I finally learn something new about my powers, I'm seen as some kind of problem. But me? I don't! It felt... powerful!"

Kai realized he was panting when Wu laid a hand on his shoulder that was quickly rising and falling.

That one word was unsettling, he knew that. Powerful. Kai knew how many times it has been abused by some of the worst villains they'd met, including Wu's brother.

"Garmadon was my family," Wu read his mind. "And it burned my heart when his thirst for power overtook him after The Great Devourer bit him. That is not you, Kai. Discovering something new is not inherently bad. Your friends are concerned for you, but they do not see you as evil."

"But what if I do?"

Wu looked at Kai with disbelief.

"Kai I never told you this but years ago there was a belief. One that I never truly thought would come to fruition."

"What Sensei?" Kai asked curiously.

"Fire is closest with energy, both unpredictable, burns bright, connecting on a different level than the other elements. This applies not only to the elements but The Elemental Masters as well."

"Is that why I felt like I was meant to be the Green Ninja?" Kai asked a twinge of anger lacing his words.

"Perhaps, but that isn't my point. I see how close you are with Lloyd, you are brothers, and when Lloyd was possessed you risked your life for him."

"Yeah but so did everybody" Kai reasoned. "What are you saying? What does this have to do with my powers?"

"Kai, in a way Fire is Energy's second wind. It's 'Right Hand Man' if you will. So if Lloyd were hurt you would be there to pick up the pieces and lead in his absence. How could anyone the Green Ninja trusts that much, be evil?"

"That's a lot to process Sensei.... but what I can say is I am not a leader. We tested that and needless to say... I'm just not fit for that."

"Perhaps not then, you let yourself get caught in the moment, a flaw you still have not yet resolved." Wu gestured to his heart. "But when it comes from here, you led without even knowing it. You helped save Lloyd from drowning, even when you didn't know how to swim yourself."

"I guess... I did. But what about Cole? If anyone were to be leader, it would be him!"

"Cole is a very grounded individual. He knows what he wants and he plans how to get it so I understand why you would think that... but the issue with grounded people is their inability to work under immense pressure or being able to risk his friends' lives."

"So I'm willing to risk my friends for my own? What does that say about me Sensei?!"

"Not for your benefit, for everyone else's. You're willing to risk everything you care about for the greater good, but you still show compassion and care for them. That's a fine line one must walk and you have always balanced them both."

"Okay... I guess? But one thing is for certain and that is I'm definitely not the most powerful after Lloyd I-"

"Power does not just come from your elemental abilities, Kai."

"Then what does it come from?"

Wu let out a sigh and shrugged while a small grin plastered itself on his face.

Kai always acted as if his ego was the size of the monastery itself. It was a sham. He always felt less than since he was never good enough, never strong enough, to be the Green Ninja, but no one else could know that.

The two made their way down to the lab in silence, both of them deep in thought.

"Kai, let me tell you something I've learned a very long time ago." We broke out of his daydream. "Self-doubt is a detrimental mindset, do not let it swallow you whole. P.I.X.A.L is coming to run tests to show how powerful you truly are."
___

After a series of tests, both physical and mental, Kai sat impatiently as P.I.X.A.L worked ferociously at the computer. Kai tried to make sense of the tests on the board but quickly gave up.

Finally, she and Wu made their way to Kai with the results.

"The diagnostic is inconclusive." P.I.X.A.L sighed. "My prediction is as he simply overworked himself and the eyes are merely a side effect."

"So they'll go away?" Said Kai worriedly.

"Yes, Kai. They will go away by morning."

Kai let out a sigh of relief as he slumped further into his chair.

"P.I.X.A.L, how often will this happen if Kai overexerts himself?" Wu asked.

"Technically, Kai has only reached 1/10 of his power capacity."

Kai's jaw dropped, "Wh-what?! How is that possible?"

"Since you've unlocked your full potential, you've maintained the same level of your ability, mostly relying on hand-to-hand combat." She stated.

"Wait if I'm that powerful... How powerful is the other Ninja?" Kai asked.

"Kai," Wu interjected. "Don't let the strength of the other put down your own."

Kai completely ignored Wu and stared at the nindroid with an unavoidable stubbornness.

"Well," P.I.X.A.L began. "Zane already displayed his maximum ability when he beat the Overlord, and so has Lloyd in the final battle. Jay has used around 5/10ths of his power and Cole's power usage stays at a comfortable 7/10. Nya has a lack of training but so far her power usage is unknown."

Kai twiddled his thumbs, "And this whole time I've been able to hold my own and even beat them in combat?" Kai realized how powerful he was... taken aback by the uncontrollable anxiety that grew in his gut. He didn't believe anything Wu said before. He's not a leader and his powers didn't belong to him.

Kai lad to learn more about his powers, but he's going to do it the only way he knows how.