Willpower

The ninja, excluding Kai, devoted their attention to the screen attached to the land bounty. On the screen stood Sensei Wu, who the group just had called.

They told their Master how their quest was so going and what they have found. The footage of Kai, the giant robot, and Kai's struggle to control his powers. However, Wu already knew all those things... and the group wasn't telling Wu everything they knew either.

And he knew it was time to come clean.

"Ninja, everything you just said, I already knew."

"What do you mean?" Cole inquired, sounding angry already.

The Ninja was alarmed by the sudden drop in the atmosphere as Wu's voice began to shake.

"With my meditation and Oversee Tea, I was able to spectate your entire journey. I am proud of you ninja, not giving up on your brother as I once did." 

"Few!!! I thought you would let some deep dark secret from the past out that all of us would get mad about because you didn't tell us and it would be consequential to our mission." Jay said with a hint of bitterness as Nya elbow him in the arm.

But then Lloyd spoke,

"There is something isn't there? Something your hiding?"

"Yes Lloyd, you are correct."

"Well, what are you waiting for? Tell us!" Nya yelled.

"Someone is forcefully injecting power into Kai's veins, essentially turning him into a human weapon,"

"And how do you know that?" Cole questioned.

"Because it almost happened to Kai's father years ago."

"What?!" The ninja yelled in surprise.

Nya couldn't contain herself, "Oh so not only are you lying about Kai, you've been hiding secrets about my family too!"

"Sorry?" Wu looked puzzled.

"We know you and P.I.X.A.L. knew there was the threat of someone endangering Kai in the first place and you didn't tell anyone! Do you know how much we could have avoided? Kai could have been here with us!" Cole roared.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," Wu said weakly. "I wanted to be positive about all this because if I was wrong, I didn't want to lose anyone else."

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Lloyd

"I- I had to be sure this was what happened to Kai's father because if it is and I wasn't sure, it could've led to all of you... I couldn't let anyone get hurt."

"So you would rather Kai suffer alone than him maybe hurting one of us?!" Nya ranted. "Do you know how wrong that is? We're a team! That's not how it works! We can't sit aside and let our teammate die-"

"Enough!" Wu shouted. "My brother sacrificed himself for this team, I tried so hard not to lose focus on what this team meant to each other and I failed, so I am truly sorry. But I cannot have someone I care about lose their life again."

Lloyd cleared his throat, "Sensei, we all know the risks of being a ninja, we do. But like Nya said,  we're a team. We need to trust each other. My father gave his life to save Ninjago, but I'm pretty sure he didn't want this to happen to us either. Things happen, people die every day, and we put our lives on the line to make sure that happens less. So let's face this as a team. No more lies."

Wu gave a small nod.

This entire time Zane stayed silent. He stared at P.I.X.A.L. who stood behind Wu. She stared right back at him with a pleading look on her face.

But he stared back at her stoically. She betrayed him, and even though he knew why, it didn't make it okay.

"So," Jay spoke up, changing the atmosphere drastically. "you're saying that someone is charging up Kai so he'll become their A-Bomb?"

"Wu, what happened with my father?" Nya asked, face still a bit flushed from the argument.

"Now that is a tale I think is finally time to tell."
___

Long ago, back in the days of your parents and the War of the Serpentine, all the elements fought in unison. Wu narrated as he melted back into the memory.

The war was finally beginning to turn in our favor, but we got in over our heads and led ourselves into a trap. The Hypnobrai lured us into a dungeon with their mind control and planned on killing us then and there.

That is until Ray and Mya showed up.

Mya led our retreat, but Ray... He stayed back. His head was in his hands as if he thought his head would burst into flames, at least that's how I saw him as I left the room. By the time we fled into the woods, we heard an explosion, and a flame hundreds of miles into the sky were visible throughout Old Ninjago City. He burnt 17 Hynobrai alive, and he didn't even notice until Garmadon pulled his unconscious body from the flames. It was a dark day for the Elemental Masters.

He was never able to truly recall what happened that day, we assumed he blocked out the memory and we didn't blame him.

Ray's powers were out of control, but with the help of his friends, he was able to move past the horrific event. Although, it was as if someone was watching Ray, monitoring him from then on waiting for him to mess up.

One day, around a week before the Time Twin's betrayal, we were rescuing a village from the Anocondrai and we found a house FILLED with information a few miles away from Ray's blacksmith shop. The information was almost completely about Ray and his power. We were never able to find the owner of the house, but one can assume it is whoever is plaguing Kai now.

And that is the truth.