Counter-powered

"This isn't normal," Nya said observing the large screen in front of her.

"What?" Jay questioned.

Zane and Cole walked into the room.

Zane confirmed, "You're computer sensors sensed it too! The heat signatures around Ninjago are constantly fluctuating. We initially thought it was Kai, but looking at the amount of energy that would take is impossible."

Nya nodded at Zane in a sense of confirmation.

"Okay, so who can tell us what's doing this?" Jay said as he said in a nearby chair.

"We don't know, but we believe whoever it is, they are attempting to hide Kai from us," Zane commented.

Everyone was shocked. Who would want to hide Kai from them? And exactly how much danger is he in?

But then it seemed that something clicked in Nya's mind. She started pounding on the keyboard, and she said,

"If the heat signatures keep changing then we know they aren't real! The fluctuation is not consistent meaning it's not a human body! Kai is a constant heat signature so if find a signature that never changes-"

"We find Kai," Lloyd said as he entered the room.

Cole grinned as he looked at the screen and spoke,

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's find our teammate."
___
Kai lost his dragon a while ago. He was exhausted and couldn't willpower the creature into existence anymore.

Kai looked up to the blazing sun to tell how far along the day it was. The sun was about to set and since he'd left that morning, he'd been moving all day.

"I need a break." Kai sighed as he found a small boulder and sat on it.

He reminded himself of the mantra he's been telling himself all day, "This is to protect my friends. I'm too dangerous, I'll hurt someone else, I have to fix this."

How to fix this, he had no idea, but for now, his first task was getting his friends out of harm's way, out of his way.

Kai slowly got up to continue walking as he heard a large boom behind him. He twisted his body in shock, and he saw a large robot around the size of a small skyscraper towering over him. A programmed robotic voice began to speak.

"Prepare yourself, Elemental Master of Fire, for you will now fight, or die."

Kai took a moment to take this all in, not that he had much time to think about it as the robot charged at him.

Kai swiftly dodged the attack, but he underestimated the robot's size. The sand the robot ran through was sent toward Kai in a mini avalanche. It flew in his eyes and knocked him off his footing.

"Gah!" Kai brought his hands to his eyes to clear his vision but was interrupted by the foot that came swinging towards his chest. It hit Im point blank and he was sent hurdling in the other direction.

Kai let out a breathless yelp as he rolled in the sand. He was officially angry.

He stood up, sliding his feet into the sand to sturdy himself. The robot flicked a notch on his wrist and a hiss started emitting from his hand.
"Gas," Kai muttered.

All it took was a small 'click' and a large blast of fire hurled towards Kai. The only option was to lift his hands and deflect it. But as the fire grew closer, the fire did not change directions. If anything, it hurled towards him faster.

The second it came in contact with his palms, the flames consumed his body, forcing itself into Kai's skin.

Kai shrieked at the sudden surge of pain the fire caused. Fire has never hurt him before, it's left his skin a bit more coarse but it never hurt him.

"Please, stop! I don't want this!" Kai begged the unmoving robot.

Finally, the flames ceased but there was no time for Kai to catch his breath. The robot charged at him and launched him into a large slab of rock he was sitting on not even an hour ago. Kai felt something snap in his elbow as he shouted in pain. He struggled to get up as he saw the robot charge at him again. He had no other option than to use his powers.

"Come on, Just move it. You can do this Kai!"
Kai said to himself lifting his hand the second he heard the small hiss again.

At first, it was working, the fire the robot shot at him, flung back and consumed the giant monster and it was lifted in the air. Kai let out a relieved chuckle,

"I'm doing it- Nyagh!"

Kai felt a surge of pain crawling up his spine. Soon all the energy from the robot was flowing into Kai's body. The robot was more than it seemed. Its innards were completely composed of fire. Kai felt the last surge of pain increase tenfold. His body jerked, trying to be free from the agonizing pain, but he could not escape it. He screamed louder than he thought he could until finally, the pain ceased.

He could not move. His body only twitched occasionally as he tried to wiggle his fingers and toes.

The robot fell with a huge boom next to him. As he finally gained the strength to move his arms and push himself to his knees. He heard the Robot mutter one last thing,

"We will meet soon... Kai."