Chapter 10 - Goals

10

*Harry’s POV*

NO IT COULDN'T BE. Zayn and I were...NO. Come on brain remember something! Why can’t I remember any of this! Like being best friends with Zayn Malik! Maybe I just let him write...a super long note with doodles and taped a picture of us together on top of it...yea mutual friends do that kind of stuff...I picked up the book and began to read the note.

Dear Baby Tarzan,

From getting poison ivy from Mr. Schumer’s yard, trying to give a cat a bath (why did you think that was a good idea?), prank calling Perrie Edwards saying we were Queen Latifah, our crazy sleepover rituals, nearly burning down my kitchen trying to make our own cookies, fixing the broken lamp in your basement (that we broke shhh!), playing footie and video games, eating 43 packages of splenda and staying up the whole night with a sugar high, sneaking into that R-rated movie, ordering a pizza to go to Ed Sheeran’s house (he still doesn’t know it was us XD), to our zoo field trip disaster, and every other funny, fantastical, phenomenal moment!

It’s been an amazing year! All the great times and next year we will be the kings of the school! Or at least the middle school... Joking aside for a moment I want to say you are my best friend in the whole wide world and I can’t imagine where I would be without you! You are my brother from another mother and it’s incredible to think we have been best friends for so long I can’t even remember an amazing time without you. Thanks so much for always being there with me and I promise I will always be there for you. You always have my back and you can bet I will always have yours!

Love your brother,

       Zayn A.K.A Dj Malik  

My knees went weak and guilt twisted my stomach. I started to recall bits and pieces of middle school. They played through my mind like a movie, yet it was incomplete. I knew all the inside jokes he mentioned and other sporadic things that we did together, but I couldn’t remember anything that would give me answers.

What had happened to us? Why didn’t I remember this before? How come he never said anything to me? All this time that I’ve seen him or anything not once did he mention anything about our old friendship. My stomach knotted even more when I realized, I was most likely the one who left him. There’s no way he ditched me it had to have been me. This realization only made me feel a hundred times worse. One questioned plagued my mind the most. Does Zayn remember?

Is that why he says nothing? I don’t remember a thing so maybe he doesn’t either. Then again no one really remembers what happened to him. Though, someone has to right? Everyone in our school can’t just hate one guy and not even know their reasoning behind it!

I groaned and tugged at my hair from frustration. Why was everything so complicated! I knew one thing I had to do was find Zayn. I ran downstairs in search of my phone and located it in my backpack. I tried calling his phone, but he ignored every one of them. I left at least a dozen voicemails and even more text messages.

“Hey yea Zayn, it’s Harry again.... just please pick up I need to explain things yea...” I broke down in tears as I finished the last voicemail. I slumped into the living room and curled up into a ball on the couch. I would have to confront him tomorrow at school. That is if he goes... there’s no telling where he is now.

I sat there curled up for a while. I stopped checking my phone to see if Zayn had contacted me. Hours must have passed by and soon I saw the window was darkening as the sun fell lower.