21 | Mine

LIA

Rob didn't need to tell me to look for Nate's car on the next block over, because the first sight I was met with in the illuminated puddle of a streetlight wasn't the car, but rather the lanky body sitting on top of it. Blake was slumped on the hood, bobbing along to the music coming through the windows and cramming a slice of pizza in his mouth while playing on his phone. He lifted his head when he heard my quick footsteps.

"The other DeMarco!" He hopped off the car and dusted some crumbs off his shirt. "Was wondering when you'd show."

"Hey, thanks for giving me a ride." I couldn't stop my voice from shrinking, hating the shyness coming through. I had never even spoken to Blake before.

He scooped up the open pizza box on the hood and walked over to the driver's side with a shining grin. "No prob, Bob. Let's go!"

* * *

Like I said, I had never spoken to Blake before. And judging from how he dressed and acted around school, he had always given me the impression of being a mellow guy. Boy, was I wrong.

"Yes! I fucking love this song!" He yelled over the earsplitting rock music booming through the speakers.

His long brown hair that usually hung still at the base of his neck was swinging around madly as he half-headbanged to the music. His body was constantly moving; hands drumming on the steering wheel, leg shaking, loud singing...god the singing. It was truly horrific. Not to mention the fact that he drove like a maniac.

"Um, can you turn the music down?" I pleaded through the noise and somehow managed to catch his limited attention. I could feel the vibrations spiraling through my body from the bass.

"Huh? Oh sure!" He abided, and my ears finally felt at peace again. Blake then looked at me properly for the first time since I got in the car, his denim blue eyes wild with energy. "Hey, you want some pizza? There's, like, ten boxes on the backseat for the party. Well, there was...I kinda had the munchies."

I laughed and accepted his offer; I would never be able to turn down free pizza. He asked me to grab him another slice as well, and I was surprised that his stomach wasn't already stuffed when I saw he had eaten more than half out of the box I had opened. I took two slices out for us, leaving greasy triangles in their place on the cardboard.

"Fuck me, pizza is amazing!" He groaned with a full mouth. "You Italians know what you're doing, man."

I stifled a giggle as I ate. The amount of energy this guy had was insane, he would probably get along really well with Rachel.

"So, Rob gave his night up for you, huh? Poor dude." Blake said while pulling at a long rope of cheese, hardly watching the road as he weaved around. "I mean, I guess it's cool he helped you out, but you don't normally go to these kinds of thing, right?"

"Yeah not really, but I'm trying to be more open about going out."

"That's good, all you gotta do is take some notes from your bro. That guy has life figured out." He swallowed his last mouthful and then looked at me quizzically. "I swear I saw you at that rich chick's party last weekend, though. Or was I imagining that?"

"That rich chick is my best friend, so yeah I was there." I smiled at how directly he spoke about everything. He seemed to say exactly what was on his mind without pausing, like he had too much impatience to think things through first.

"Oh, my bad. Well she threw an awesome party. That was a good night."

A brief flash of me and Nate in the pool house crossed my mind, causing my smile to grow. "Yeah...it really was."