22 | Boys and Bonfires

Matt had been all over me since we finished talking about Carter, not that I minded, but I hadn't even spoken to anyone else yet. It was like our kisses were insatiable for him, and it was only just the start of our relationship. I felt like I was still settling into this role of actually being a girlfriend, while he was miles ahead.

"So what did I miss? Have you been here long?" He asked, resting his hands on my hips and looking at me affectionately.

"Nothing much, I got here a few minutes before you did, and I kinda had to sneak out so I could come."

"You snuck out??" Genuine shock struck his face. "That's so unlike you."

I laughed and agreed, choosing my next words carefully. "Well my mom didn't want me coming on a school night, and I wasn't going to miss being here with you."

He grinned and dug his fingers deeper into my sides, wanting me closer. I had a feeling he wouldn't be eager to let go tonight, and it made me a little nervous about how he thought this night might end. I liked Matt more and more every day, but I was nowhere near ready to sleep with him yet.

"Hey guys, glad you could make it." Nate's presence instinctively made me pull away from Matt, not wanting to shove our relationship in his face, but Matt kept his arm tightly wrapped around my waist. "Do you still need drinks?" Nate continued with a warm smile.

"Yeah, I'll go—"

"I can get one for you, babe." Matt interjected, hitting the end of that sentence pretty hard.

He's never called me 'babe' before. It's like he made sure Nate heard it.

I shrugged it off and told him a beer would be okay for me, receiving a suave kiss on the cheek before he moved past Nate, who turned his head slightly and waited until Matt was out of earshot.

"You two are adorable." He teased with an infectious grin, stepping closer and getting in my personal space...but I didn't have a problem sharing it with him.

"Sarcasm?"

"Mm, just a little." He laughed in that melodic tune, instantly making me join in. "So, I heard Blake drove you here. I'll apologize on his behalf for that experience, he's a terrible driver."

"Oh, it wasn't too bad." Nate immediately creased his eyebrows together. He knew I was only being nice. "Alright, he just has a lot of energy. Like, a lot."

He chuckled at my candor. "Actually, he has ADHD."

"Shit, really? Now I feel bad for saying that." It made sense with how rapidly his mind seemed to work, how he couldn't stay still in the car or when he ran away in the middle of our conversation.

I lowered my head in awkwardness, but Nate assured me that Blake was also just an eccentric person who really didn't care what anyone thought about him. I wondered if the weed he smoked had any effect on his energy, or if he would have even more energy if he didn't smoke.

"And uh, don't worry about Blake telling anyone about what happened between us. It'll still be a secret like you want." Nate assured me.

"Oh, right...thanks fo—"

Another senior whose name I didn't know suddenly interrupted us, happily greeting Nate with one of those casual bro hugs. "Happy birthday, man. Thanks for the invite."

Birthday? What?!

I watched them exchange some brief chatter while I stood there like a wooden plank, mortified. I felt so idiotic for not knowing that this was a freaking birthday party, and that I had been talking to Nate without having acknowledged it at all. When the other guy left, Nate turned his attention back to me and picked up our conversation like nothing had happened.