26 | Another Side

After the nail-biting game that ended in a winning victory, we headed back to Matt's house in high spirits. And by 'we' I mean the whole football team, cheerleaders, and a bunch of other popular kids. When Matt first told me that it was only going to be 'some of the guys' coming over for pre-drinks, I was hesitant about being hurled into a group of people I had hardly spoken to before, if ever. But I sucked it up since he had at least been open about coming to the bonfire. Except now the initial group I thought I'd be hanging out with had tripled in numbers, and it was a little more unnerving. I wondered what they'd think of me being here with them.

From that jaw-dropping kiss Matt and I shared in the bleachers, the whole school was pretty much buzzing and looking at me differently. Would they think I was just some random nobody trying to get popular? Would they give me dirty looks like I was trespassing in their territory?

Matt's house was less like a house and more like a mansion. A long and straight driveway paved up to the towering three-story building, ending in a big round area for parking, which had an eye-catching water fountain sitting in the middle. White roses circled the base of the fountain, and the front lawn was freshly cut with neatly shaped hedges and bushes lining the walls. Thick pillars framed the large wooden door that lead inside a bright foyer. I stopped walking before crossing the threshold after everyone else, taking a second to gather enough confidence to get through the night.

Matt grasped my hand and locked our fingers together. He looked down at me and smiled in an instantly comforting way. He knew I was nervous – my crinkled brows and tight mouth gave that away alone – but with just one glance he managed to assure me that it would be okay. And I really did feel it.

I almost choked when I walked inside, I had to consciously suppress the loud gasp that threatened to escape my lips because of the sights around me. Everything was smooth and elegant – creamy marble floors and a long winding staircase with polished wooden railings, a dazzling crystal chandelier hanging from the high ceilings, the décor all matching in light color and styles. It all screamed luxury.

Matt chuckled at my speechlessness and slid an arm over my shoulders, snapping me out of my amazement. I cleared my throat and wrapped my arm around his waist, letting him guide me towards the room where all the noise of the others was coming from.

"Are your parents fine with you having people over tonight?" I asked, scared to touch anything in fear of breaking something expensive.

"My dad's in New York and my mom is out for the night, it's all good." He said casually. "So, you ready to get to know everyone?"

I reached up to hold his hand that was dangling over my shoulder. "Yeah, I'm ready."

When we were a couple of steps away from the next room, he was the one who stopped walking this time. "Honestly, I know my team won and it's great, but you're the only person I want to celebrate with. I would rather spend the whole night with you. Just us."

I let go of his hand and turned to face him, running my fingers along the soft collar of his letterman jacket. "Well, you said it's only pre-drinks here, right? Maybe after everyone leaves then we can hang back...alone."

The blue of his irises seemed to get lighter from my suggestion, and his full lips curved into a butterfly-inducing smile as he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "You read my mind, beautiful."

* * *

The vibe here was different from the bonfire, not just because of the people, but because of the conversation too. It was like they all knew each other, but they didn't actually know each other. Like they were only saying what they thought everyone wanted to hear ­– surface level things. Maybe I was judging too fast, it was just the impression I got.