Back To School

(August)

"Hey you okay?" Ben checked as him and Harry we're sitting on Ben's couch together.

"It's just I'm sad that summer is almost over." Harry replied.

"It's gonna be okay. We still have a few days left of school." Ben assured.

"Yeah. Hey have you talked to Mal lately?" Harry wondered.

Ben's face froze and he didn't say anything.

"Ben? You okay? Did I lose you there?" Harry asked with a little bit of a laugh.

"What? Oh no I'm good." Ben responded. "I'm gonna get another drink. You want something?" Ben got up and walked to the kitchen.

"Ben I think we should talk." Harry said following Ben into the kitchen.

"About?" Ben asked opening the fridge.

"Us." Harry stated.

Ben grabbed his drink, then shut the fridge, and turned back to Harry. "Why? What's wrong?"

"I just feel like all summer you've been distant." Harry told him.

"What are you talking about? We've been hanging out together all summer." Ben responded.

"I mean you've been not yourself and like you're not happy." Harry explained.

"I have? Harry I'm really sorry. I didn't realize what I was doing." Ben said and walked over to Harry.

"It's okay, but I think I should give you space and time to try and figure things out." Harry told Ben.

"What are you saying?" Ben questioned.

"I think you know what I'm saying Ben." Harry responded with a slight smile. "I should get going. I'll see you around."

Ben stood in the kitchen watching Harry look at Ben, then walk out.

(First day of school)

"Benjamin!" Jay called to him as Ben walked into school.

"Hey man. How's it going?" Ben asked high fiving Jay.

"Great. How was your summer? Didn't see you and Harry that much this summer. How are you two by the way?" Jay was saying.

"Uh we're um..." Ben was trying to say.

"Oh. I'm sorry about that man." Jay replied knowing what Ben was talking about.

"It's okay. I'll be okay. Don't worry." Ben told Jay. "I need to go though. I'll see you later."

Ben was walking through the hallway, then stopped when he heard Mal's voice.

"I don't what to do Evie." Mal said.

"It's gonna be okay. Everything will work itself out." Evie was assuring Mal.

"You're right. We should get to class though." Mal stated.

Before they came out Ben quickly walked away from the door.

(Later)

Ben walked into one of his classes and sat near the back. Then he saw Mal walk in.

"Hey Mal over here!" He called out to her.

She looked over and smiled, then walked over to Ben. "Hey Ben haven't seen you like all summer."

"Yeah I know. How was Florida?" Ben questioned.

"It was great. I really missed you. How are you and Harry doing?" Mal answered, then asked.