Chapter Twelve: Lucius Weiss

(Luke in picture above)

Thomas Edison perfected the lightbulb 140 years ago in 1879, that was the same year the man Lucius Weiss died

Thomas Edison perfected the lightbulb 140 years ago in 1879, that was the same year the man Lucius Weiss died. Today I am known as Luke, a vampire, a monster, and a murderer who went to war to avenge the love of my life, Emilie.

20 years ago I found her, my Emilie. She is known as Amelia now however. Perhaps it is better if I explain? Please, allow me tell to you the story of a forbidden love that led to my beloved Emilie's demise...

I was but a young man, 24 and working for my father in his bakery in the territory of Washington. He made me deliver fresh bread every morning to a particularly wealthy family, the Willows.

They had a daughter named Emilie, day after day she would answer the door with her innocent smile and thank me for my prompt delivery. For years I had watched her grow older, and she too had seen me mature. There was an unspoken spark between us that would never ignite as her parents were awfully strict and thought me beneath them.

"A good morrow to you Lucius," she would sing.
"Fare thee well," we would part, knowing that tomorrow we shall meet again.

And the days continued on and on... until my Emilie decided to take it upon herself to change our lives forever.

"Run away with me Lucius... take me far far away from this awful place," she begged.
"Whatever is the matter with you Emilie?" I wasn't quite sure what to do.
"I've been arranged to marry a dangerous man Lucius..." she whispered as her lip began to quiver.
That was all I needed to hear, "Pack your things and meet me at the midnight hour. We elope tonight," she began to cry tears of joy and gently clasped my hand in hers, I felt a shock of varying emotions run through my body.
"Thank you Lucius," she gave it a good squeeze before disappearing once more.

I made haste towards home, packing only the necessities. Emilie is the love of my life, I'm sure my family will understand some day... I quickly wrote them a letter and waited for the clock to strike 11:30 before setting off to rescue my princess.

She was there, in the backyard of her parent's castle with two small bags.
"Emilie," I whispered, she jumped in fright but quickly took my hand in hers and quietly exclaimed, "You came!" Her eyes swelled with tears.
"Of course I came, I love you," staring into her eyes in the moonlight we both leaned in for a most scandalous kiss and I shivered with pure ecstasy.
"Let us part," I picked up one of her bags to lighten her load.

The walking seemed endless, with no plan and no money we were naive and unprepared and I feared for what was to come. About 3 hours into our journey, we heard the howling of a wolf in the distance.