Chapter 24 • Brother's tale

~Almost 2 years ago~

With steady hands Eunha resolutely evened out her new haircut, trimming her fringe and the silky locks that framed her face until she was satisfied. She didn't necessarily want to cut her waist-long hair, but soap was kind of expensive and she felt like she needed too much to maintain her old hairstyle so she cut it.

Her brother would be so pissed later; he didn't want her to cut her hair when she proposed the idea earlier this month, stating how he would work harder to afford more soap so that she could keep her 'beautiful locks'. He worked hard enough already, which is why she decided to do it while he was gone on a trip to sell stuff with their father. No one could intervene that way and it would save quite some money for more important things.

When finished Eunha put the scissors down, fingers running through her in comparison short hair. She quite liked the way it looked, it was a lot less warm as well so she wouldn't feel as icky when sweating now. It was comfortable.

Smiling at her reflecting in the rusty mirror Eunha slowly turned towards the door to leave the small bathroom. Just as she reached for the doorknob, the polished wood swung open, nearly hitting her in the face, "Eunha!"
Her mother stood there in the entrance, eyes opened wide in pure distraught, some lost tears still trailing down her pale and slightly sweaty face as she panted from the little sprint she had taken towards the bathroom.
"Follow me, something happened, your father is downstairs, badly injured, Jaehyun-" her words were caught off by a loud scream in pain.

Recognizing the high voice as her father's, Eunha ran past her mother, bolted down the stairs and rushed into the living room where the scream had come from. On the couch, with his already messed up leg wrapped in bandages, body scarred with cuts and bruises, eyes tightly shut and jaw clenched in pain, was her father.
He was sobbing loudly as the doctor, who happened to be their neighbour, let go of his leg with a soft sigh.
The man turned around, taking notice of Eunha. "I'm sorry to say but I can't do much more than this. Make sure he takes the medicine I've left on the counter three times a day and refresh the bandages regularly. Don't worry about paying, it's on me." He patted Eunha's shoulder, putting back on his jacket before focusing on the girl's mother who came walking down the stairs.

"Only time can heal some of him, Jiyoo. There's nothing more I can do, I'm sorry. I truly am... my condolences for your loss." With that the man left, leaving both Eunha's mother and father crying.

"What happened, what is going on? Condolences? What is he talking about?"

"Your father and brother were ambushed Eunha. A g-gang of bandits. Jaehyun. He didn't make it." Her mother sobbed even louder after bravely announcing the unwelcome truth.

"What?" Her heart skipped a beat. Her brother, the boy who would scold her for talking with her mouth full, pat her back in compliment when she did something good, would spoil her by giving her bits of his food extra at dinner, whose eyes would light up every time they would celebrate her birthday and promise her that one day he would make her the biggest buffet filled with all kinds of tasty goods instead of using an apple as a birthday cake, was gone?

Her father's breath hitched as he tried to calm down enough to talk. "We were riding to Marymorest with the carriage filled to sell watches there as we'd heard the stories of the rich people who love antiques, when suddenly a group of men jumped us. They- they beat me, held a knife to our throats and told us to hand them our valuable possessions. Jaehyun refused, he fought them, tried to protect me. Those bastards killed him, they killed him and took the carriage."
More tears left her father's eyes as he recalled the painful moment, he could still hear the scream that filled the air, one that ripped through skin and bone. The memory gave him the chills.

"How did you get home?" Eunha's voice trembled slightly as she spoke, but she ignored it.

"The neighbor found him laying in the middle of the road, all beaten up. He tended his wounds and brought him home." Her mother answered, sitting down next to her husband to share their sadness.

Eunha watched them without actually seeing anything. The truth hit her too hard, she couldn't help but imagine what it must have been like for her brother, her father.
Jaehyun, he wouldn't be coming back.

At that moment she didn't even care about the fact that they would struggle even more to make enough money to live, her brother was the biggest source of income after all, she could only think about the amazingly kind person they had lost. He was always there for her, had her back when needed, protected her when needed, but also gave her the room and freedom to be herself and learn. He was a person you could rely on, but now he was gone.

She couldn't take it.

Sparing her parents one more glance the girl abruptly turned around and fled up the stairs. Once she was in the safety of her bedroom she let herself fall on her bed and allowed the tears to roll down her cheeks.

She cried in anger because of the horrible people who had attacked her father and brother, she cried in worry for the future, she cried in empathy with the rest of her family, but most importantly she cried for the loss of a loved one and the hardships he'd suffered.

~~
Hi loves! This was a short flashback chapter.
I have the next one ready as well, so I'll publish this one first, then re-read the other one before publishing that one in a bit as well! ^-^

How are you today? Did you drink enough water? Smiled at yourself and others?
I have been ill since Wednesday so that's why I haven't been uploading much, but I'm almost better now. I've got so much homework to do though (we love procrastinating), but I'll be fine!

I wish you a great day/night! <3
Don't forget to vote and comment if you want to!
Bye Bye~