Chapter 13

The only way to tell whether or not a new day arose was the moment you woke up. You knew it was inaccurate, but it's your only way.

One 'morning', you found yourself able to push yourself out of bed and walk around. Your legs were a bit wobbly and encouraged you to hold onto the bed for support, but you were finally able to walk a bit without pain. This was your only hopeful moment throughout all the time you had been living in this house, and you couldn't believe the smile playing on your face when you came to this realization.

As if knowing this accomplishment occurred moments ago, you felt a presence from behind you. Before you could begin to turn around, there was a sense of impending doom lurking in your chest, leaving you frozen in place. A familiar static sounded at a low volume, but increased by the second. You close your eyes, and let out the breath you held in the moment you felt his presence. Not daring to make a move, you wait for any motion to speak or attack.

I see you've made yourself rather comfortable, haven't you?

No word.

It's okay not to understand, that's the beginning of madness, is it not? Soon, there will be a result, and we'll go from there.

"Why do you have to talk to me like I'm some sort of lunatic? So what if I want to die, isn't that what you and your friends pride yourself on?" you could feel the uncontrollable anger boiling once again.

One day, you'll understand. You'll grow familiar with the deepest parts of yourself, and finally feel for the first time.

"Feel what? More regret for not jumping before I met that poor excuse of a killer? More sorrow for myself because I'm the biggest disappointment?" You laugh as you feel a tear run down your cheek.

The static slowly mutes itself, and you no longer feel his presence. You turn around and meet with the little ghost girl again.

"Why are you crying? You're too old and not hurt so it doesn't make sense." she pokes ur stomach and looks up.

"You wouldn't understand, but I guess you could say I'm hurting on the inside." You get back into bed, and pull the covers over your head.

Everything seemed easier when you were alone. No matter how hard you used to try to feel something positive, you ended up spiraling back into the comfort of torturing yourself. You curl up into a ball and continue to cry. You could hear the young ghost from outside of your bubble, but you chose to ignore her. It wasn't until you felt your bubble pop and the covers rip off of you that you started paying attention.

"Why won't you listen to me, I just want a friend," the girl was crying. Naturally, you cried even harder, "Why are you crying? Mr. D my friend won't listen to me all I keep hearing is the crying!"

A pang of guilt hit your chest, was this some type of sick joke? "How could a ghost kid wanna be my friend. You have all those other monsters, don't you?"

"They're all mean and always fighting. The Tall Man doesn't even care about me anymore. I want someone to play with, and you seem perfect to me." She continues to sniffle and use her teddy bear to wipe her tears.

How odd would it be to have a friend who was a ghost, nonetheless a ghost who attempted to murder you? She seemed to be your only chance at sanity, and part of you wanted to believe you could finally hold a friendship with someone who felt pain like you did all these years.

"Let's play, then. What's your name?" your comment seemed to soothe her crying completely, so she wasted no time to jump on the bed excitedly.

"My name is Sally! I'm soooo glad you'll be my friend! You know what this means right? Toby can't have you, not in a million years," her eyes darkened and her smile grew sinister, "no other boy or man will ruin my fun, not even that ticci boy!" a snicker rose from her hand.

Sally grabbed your hand, and began to disappear into the bed, dragging you with her. You end up falling onto the couch on the floor below, but your mind felt disoriented from defying whatever law there could possibly be regarding the fact that no human could pass through solids. She giggles, and runs behind the TV.

"It may not be traditional, but even an older ghost can modernize, right?" she steps through the TV carrying a collection of video games and consoles to play with.

She inserts a familiar wii game called "Cooking Papa" and proceeds to insert the disc in. Immediately, you feel dizzy and your peripheral vision distorts into static. You yell for Sally, but you blank out and can only see again after a few seconds.

You're now looking at Sally banging on the screen, and you feel each pound of her fist ricochet through your body. She has left her stuffed animal on the floor, and she begins to cry. She gets angry and almost throws the wii at you, but she looks off into the distance as if something keeps her in a trance. The young ghost slowly backs up, and sits on the couch, staring. You feel your heart beating against your chest, and confusion turns into fear. What just happened? A sinister laugh and footsteps echo from behind you, and you turn around swiftly. The area you were in was completely white, and in the distance a man in all green walks up. He reminds you of an elf at first, until you understand it's from a video game.

"Well, well, well. What a surprise to see you here. I'm sure you missed me," he flashes his pearly whites, and you could swear on your life that he files them down to get such a fiercely sharp bite.

This time, you waste no time in walking up to meet him, and you give a fake laugh. You run up and sock him right in the cheek. He stumbles, and his bright red irises shine brighter than before. He wipes the corner of his mouth, as you assumed you made him bite his lip on impact. He chuckles and stands straight up, then pushes you onto the ground. He straddles you, and keeps a hand clutched on your collar. He looms over you, your noses just barely touching.

"You really shouldn't have done that."