Chapter 38

A few days have passed, and just as Jane had thought, your aphasia subsided. You had spent your days getting back into training yourself with your kicking bag, but slowly as to not injure yourself further.

Before Toby fell asleep last night, he turned to you in bed. Yes, he still insisted on the sleepovers, but it began to grow on you. His company was appreciated.

"(Y/N), I forgot to mention something about that night." his voice wavered as he naturally stutters over his words.

You hum, turning to him.

"He does it as a test. A test to see if you can handle it. Handle the pressure. Now, I know I kind of helped in a way, but technically speaking, you passed." he smiles unsurely, and laughs a bit.

"What pressure?" You play with his fingers still latched around your hand, and look up at him.

"Being a killer. Now, there's no rush of course, but we don't just feed an extra mouth around here for the heck of it. You gotta start pulling your weight eventually..." he trails off, "I hope it doesn't scare you."

You stare at him wide-eyed. Did he really just say that?

"Ah, yea I'm sorry I shouldn't have mentioned it. Goodnight." Toby turns his back to you, and cracks his neck.

Three pointers there. Hm. You stare into his back. Being a killer was one, but it didn't really turn you off. Whether it be the head trauma or boredom, you feel as though you could probably handle it. After all, you had been training and the immense stress you were under for the past few months didn't really give you a normal outlook on life anyway.

The last two points got you. He worried about scaring you? What happened to the guy who wanted to see you hurt? You clutch at your heart. Man, this made you almost, giddy? You rub the smile away from your lips, and turn to face your back to his. He even apologized. What a world you lived in. Your killer not only loved you, but cared about you as well. I guess that's what love is right? Caring about the partner enough to keep them from any harm? Looking for nobody else, your mind always looking back to them? Another smile tugged at your lips. This seemed enticing enough, maybe you really could work out life as a killer for him. Maybe you could enjoy the feeling of a struggling victim slip between life and death. Anything seems perfect with Toby by your side.

"Toby?"

"Hm." a groggy voice echoes from across the wall.

"I'll start tomorrow, I'm ready." he laughs, and you feel him turn around. His arms encase you and pull you closer while his breath tickles your neck.

"That's my baby, but how about we start now?" He slips his hand up to your neck, keeping you held down by the neck and waist. His legs wrap around yours, and a knife flicks open against your exposed neck.

"Oh, now this'll be fun," you snicker, and immediately act against his hand.

He wasn't going to win that easily.