Chapter 21

You were still trying to achieve normal breathing when Toby reaches out to the wall. He was scaring you, talking to someone not there. You saw ghosts like Sally, but this man was straight up speaking to air. You were shaking from your near death experience, so you didn't dare say a word.

Toby continues to talk to nothing, and you could've sworn you heard more sniffles. He must be crying, but for what?

"Lyra, oh my god," he reaches out, aiming to hug, but almost face plants instead.

You felt your heart churn at the sight, but fear was still present in your mind. Had he really lost his mind?

"You're not real, of course," he laughs in a way that literally rips your soul apart, he sounded so distraught. "how could I forget about the crash."

You froze when he turned to face you. The dim light from the kitchen shone on his bare face. Rays reflected off the tears streaming down his face, and you could only watch as he creeped towards you. He lifts a finger, pointing at you while his facial expression turns sour.

"It's all your fault. These stupid visions wouldn't have returned if it weren't for you getting in my mind. He made SURE they wouldn't come back. Why are you doing this to me?"

You couldn't ignore his dangerous aura. Toby kept inching towards you, more insults and blame placed on you. With this in mind, you broke out of your frozen stature, and decided this was a flight scenario.

Your mind raced, you knew staying here meant death. Originally, you'd welcome this, but each day spent here weened off the pain you previously felt.

Acting on flight, you turn and run, but knowing he would grab you easily, you decide to run towards the kitchen for a knife. He immediately pursued you, but you already made it to the knife. He grabbed you and pulled you back into him, but you succeeded in stabbing him in the shoulder when he did so. Toby didn't even scream out. He just pushed you into the fridge door, then threw you to the ground. With a foot pressing into your chest securely, he stares down at the knife snug in his shoulder. Toby smirks, and watches your face contort into disgust and confusion when he slowly pulls it out without a sign of pain. He swirls the knife in between his slender fingers, raises a brow, then kneels in front of you.

"What? Did you expect me to scream? Maybe see me cry? Kinda like this?"

He plunges the knife through your own right shoulder, and you scream out in pain. You try to push him away, but he twists the knife a bit more. Toby laughs in satisfaction, but tears begin to run over the dried stream stained on his cheeks from earlier. He wipes your own tears away, and raises your chin. You stare into his eyes, and he smiles. Toby's neck cracks, and he stutters.

"Now that's what I like to hear," he sniffles, "this is only the beginning of your pain." he wipes his tears away with the back of his wrist.

"I'm finally getting my mojo back, and man does it feel good. Thanks for the movie boost, hun." he winks, pulls the knife out of your shoulder, and begins to wash it.

Toby dries the knife, placing it back into its holder. He simply walks past you, hopping over your legs. You continue to cry on the floor, wincing at every step he takes to his room when it echoes through the house.