Fish Out of Water {OC Request}

This one shot was requested by DoodleBish I hope you enjoyed it! It was a fun one to write so without further ado, please enjoy!

I tied my blonde hair into a single plait as I made my way towards the Slytherin Common Room. I had just come from Care of Magical Creatures and wanted to have a shower before dinner. I spoke the password and watched as the wall slid open before walking in. My sapphire eyes darted around the room, unsurprised that it had only one or two people in it. I headed upstairs and began to get ready for my shower.

I let my hair drip dry as it hung down my back. I had wrapped myself up in a comfy sweater and jeans and was preparing to make my way to the Great Hall when a movement at one of the Common Room windows made me stop. I slowly made my way towards the dark figure and as I got closer the figure got closer until

"Desarae!"

It was gone. I turned around to see who had called my name.

"Draco. Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I was just checking to see if you were coming to dinner?"

"Y-Yeah," I turned back to the window but the figure had gone. "Yeah, I'm coming."

****

It wasn't until spring when I saw the figure again. I wasn't one for Quidditch so when everyone else was out watching the match, I was curled up in the Common Room with a good book. I was so absorbed that it took me one or two minutes to notice the knocking that came from the window next to me.

I gasped at what I saw when I turned my head to look at the source of the knocking. It was a male Selkie.

I couldn't help it as I stared at the creature, his yellow hair was cut short, showing his gills and grey skin, his yellow eyes pierced my blue ones and his grey skin melded into a dark, sharp tail. It appeared that I had been staring too long and he started to swim away.

"Wait!" I yelled out as if he could hear me, putting my hands up. "Don't go!"

He tilted his head to the side as if I couldn't understand what I was saying. An idea sprang to my head and I pulled out my wand, spelling out the word hello. There was no change in his expression and then I thought of something. My little brother, a Ravenclaw second year was deaf, so we used sign language to communicate with him. It was worth a try.

I signed hello.

He signed back.

I smiled and began to converse with him in sign.

My name is Desarae. What is yours?

My name is Aegir. Nice to meet you. You are the first Hogwarts student who has communicated with a Selkie in a long time.

Well, you are an interesting species. Why wouldn't I?

He smiled before looking up.

The others are coming. I must go, I don't like to be seen around many people. We will speak soon.

And with that he swam off as the rest of Slytherin House came into the Common Room celebrating about their latest victory.

****

I next saw Aegir on the last day of summer term and we spoke again. We would never speak for long, 5 minutes at the maximum, but it was interesting to say the least. I got to know the young Selkie quite a bit and would happily consider him a friend, so I found myself missing him whenever we would have to leave Hogwarts for the holidays. But there was one thing that I was dreading more than anything and that was my last day at Hogwarts.

It had been three and a half years since I had met Aegir and now it was time to say goodbye.

"We'll meet you at the carriages," Draco said before he walked off with Blaise. I nodded in response before he walked off and as soon as he had disappeared out of sight. I made may way towards a small area, hidden by willow trees at the edge of the black lake. Sure enough, I found Aegir waiting for me as it was now accustomed for us to do in the warmer months, but this time it seemed different, more sombre and we both knew why.

You're leaving today.

Aegir signed as soon as he saw me.

I know.

I sighed in response, sitting down on the grass.

Desarae. I wanted to thank you. For everything. You've constantly kept me company all these years even though you didn't have to and for that I am in your debt. I will look out for your family and it's future generations and will tell my offspring to continue this trend. You are my one true friend and I shall miss you.

Aegir

Don't. No goodbyes. You are not restricted to saying goodbye forever because you have left Hogwarts, you always have the option to come back. One I hope you'll make as often as you wish.

I will, Aegir. I promise.

Good, now go. You don't want to miss the train.

I got up and gave the Selkie a hug before standing up.

Goodbye, Aegir.

Goodbye, Desarae.

With a smile, I turned and walked towards the carriages, hearing a splash and Aegir dove underwater to head back to his colony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
15 YEARS LATER (April 2013)

We appeared with a 'pop' and our eight year old son, Scorpious, immediately ran off.

"Be careful, sweetheart!" I yelled after him, causing Draco to chuckle.

"He always is, love."

"I know, I just don't want him to fall in."

"If he did, he'd just use it as an excuse to start playing with Gillare." Draco told me to which I smiled.

I pushed past the willow branches to reveal the clearing. Aegir sat with Killeah, their backs resting against the grassy bank, their fins submerged in water. Scorpious and Gillare were sat playing the shallow water, the two of them rapidly signing. Myself and Draco sat down next to the Selkie couple and with a few movements of our hands the Malfoy/Selkie monthly picnic got underway.

This is my last one shot for the 1K requests and I just want to say thank you so much, it means a lot! Right, this one was a bit different but I enjoyed writing it and I hoped you enjoyed reading it but this now means that we are back to business, so here are you emoji hints for the next One Shot:

👩🏻‍🦰🦁😒