Kny x FGO (8)

• Ritsuka and Gudako had a long chat with 13 deceased students of Urokodaki.

It had been one year since Ritsuka trained under Urokodaki. For the last test before he allowed Ritsuka to enter Final Selection, he must split a huge boulder with single katana.

Ritsuka didn't mind it. In his previous life, he had undergo lots of training menus personally made by ancient heroes; cutting a boulder with flimsy sword was just one of many.

With enough speed and power, anything could be used as weapon.

There's nothing couldn't be cut with. What matter most are what's the right sword and who's the right wielder.

Cutting a boulder that big was not a hard task, at least for Ritsuka. He had been building his mass muscle since tender age of eightーthe first time his father taught him and Gudako Hinokami Kaguraーand training under the ex-Water Pillar had honed his basic skill into advanced level. Breath Form Techniques, Total Focus Breathing, Stance, and moreーRitsuka had memorized, practiced, and adapted all of it into his own style.

Thus, when Urokodaki said he didn't have any to teach him, he truly meant it. He'd already known his newest student might have already surpassed him in several aspects; he just needed more experience to surpass him completely.

If he had to say, Kamado "Ritsuka" Tanjirou was already strong enough to go on tow with rank A- demon. Final Selection would be anything but difficult.

Boulder test was just an excuse. The representation of Urokodaki's unwillingness and fear to send his precious student toc Final Selection, just to lost their life tragically.

Of course, Ritsuka didn't have any clue about it. But it didn't mean he couldn't take a guess; he might not as sharp as Gudako, but he knew how to read the situation. And it wasn't like Urokodaki hid his own personal feelingーfor a man who had a sharp nose like him, he was too easy to read.

Ritsuka wasn't in hurry. A path of swordmanhip wasn't something that should be taken in rush. Sometimes, he needed to sit down and think.

That was why rather than immediately finish the task in one go, Ritsuka chose to take his time observe the boulder instead.

ーOr rather, the spirits that dwelled around it.

They smelled young. Painstakingly young it made his heart ached. They were spirits born from grief and anger, the remaining shards of people whose life had been taken unfairly.

They were children. Children with infinite potential and hopes, yet life didn't give them a chance to let themselves shine like how they supposed to be.

Ritsuka once again took a sniff to identify more. Their blade. Their stance. Their warding mask, their haori, their kimono, their emotions, it's all smelt likeー

Ritsuka wanted to cry.

Aaah, he lamented.

How could life is this unfair?

They were, thirteen of them in total, the late students of Urokodaki Sakonji.

Thirteen students who lost their life in Final Selection. Thirteen students who couldn't rest because of their failure, and thus their wandering spirit went back to Sagiri Mountain.

To look after their grieving Master.

To look for another apprentice, another successor to vengeance their death.

Ritsuka knew he wasn't in place to comment, looking back at how messed up his previous life. But, to think his Teacher had suffered such loss like this...