二十四

T H E   S E A L E D   M E M O R Y

        Uchiha rioted throughout the compound. They considered Madara's death the ultimate act of betrayal. I watched from my balcony as Uchiha confronted Senju in the streets. Houses were burned and vandalised, civilians were threatened. I intervened where I could, though the respect for my social standing wained as the rumours circulated. I was accused of being a Senju sympathiser and Hashirama's whore. 

      Ironically, Hashirama had not been since the battle. 

      Shinigami urged me to act. The Uchiha were becoming abrasive and reckless. The Sharingan was viewed as a weapon of control and I feared our clan's history would repeat. However, I was conflicted. The guilt crippled me. I felt at fault for Madara's death. 

       "Hikari, you cannot hide from this anymore," Kagami pulled the curtain aside. 

      I sat at the edge of light, templing my fingers. Outside, a mob had gathered. They held flaming torches, ribbed Uchiha banners and had abandoned their Leaf insignia. 

       "The Uchiha need a leader," Kagami deflected a throwing star with the hilt of his tanto. "They need you. You must show them that you surpass Madara." 

      "WHORE!" 

      "Senju bitch!" 

      "Traitor!" 

      I waited for the crowd to disperse and take their anger to the community complex. I crouched on the railing of the balcony and had full view of the main street. At the foot of the Hokage tower, a large dais was used for festivals and public appearances. My hair blew wildly around my face, free from it's ponytail. 

        "Hikari," Kagami's three-stage Sharingan activated. "We must go."  

        "How can I?" I rested my chin in my palm. "They view me as a sympathiser. There's been multiple attempts on my life circulating from the rumours. They do not know me like Madara. I am known as Hashirama's right hand, second to Tobirama. They will never trust me." 

       "Then show them who you really are," Kagami said. "Madara left clear instruction to the first branch that the title passes to you, no exception. Show them that a coup to renounce your leadership is worthless. Show them your strength as Heiress." 

      The last straw had been cut when Madara had died, the realisation had set in. No funeral was held with the Shinobi of the village, his body wasn't even exhumed to the Uchiha so we could bury himknowing Tobirama; he would've desecrated Madara's body and dismembered him. I could barely function without the guilt swallowing me whole. 

       I shook my head and turned away from the scene. 

      "Mistress!" Kagami pulled at the collar of my robe. "Do not disappoint Madara." 

      "Fine." 

      I tightened the twin katana to my hips and slid on the Hannya mask. I needed no further instruction to meet Kagami in the centre of town. 

       The village was in utter chaos. Uchiha swarmed the community grounds and corned smaller clans which supported the Senju. Despite the additional support, the Uchiha dwarfed them in numbers. 

      Kagami stood at the front of the crowd, his forehead pressed against a Senju informant. Their hitai-ate cracked from the force.