二十七

S H I N T O N

       I accepted the hitai-ate and tied it to the hilt of my katana. 

    "Hikari!" Gai flagged me over to the ramen stall. Kakashi and Naruto slurped at the bowl of noodles, oblivious to my presence. Both Sensei wore different headbands without the Koohagakure emblem. "Has Lady Hokage assigned you to a squad yet?"

      "Squad?" I frowned.

     Other Jonnin crowded in the ramen stall and Dango shop with the same crafted headbands. They discussed strategies over meals. 

      Naruto spoke up with a mouthful of Ramen.

      "The Allied Shinobi Force," Naruto swallowed. "We're preparing for the war against Madara and the Masked Man. Konohagakure's teaming up with all of the other lands to fight in the war. Are you ready to kick Madara's arse?" 

      I looked away; did I have the guts to go up against Madara in war? I would be the only one skilled enough to take him on; besides, Hashirama wasn't here to help me so I'd do it alone. However, did I even want to cross my Sama? No answer was better than the wrong one, I decided.

      "I take it that you won't be with us on the field for a while," Naruto exhaled. "I'll be looking out for you, Kurama and I both."

[Time Skip]

      I unfurled the parchment that held my orders; Tsunade sent me on a personal endeavour to Amegakure to retrieve Kuma. On foot it would take a week realistically to reach the border and then a further few days if I need to strategise a path around the conflict encroaching on the Land of Hot Water. I didn't like travelling on my own, yes it had benefits such as not being  responsible for another person's wellbeing but it struck a chord of vulnerability in me―what if this was the opportunity the enemy needed to exploit my talents?

      As I ran, Shinigami pulled me into the subconscious state, "Hika–Chan, another era of war is upon us. It's been a while since you've been around bloodshed, how are you going to handle it?"

      "As best as I can," I pushed off a branch. 

      Shinigami chuckled, "You have grown into more than a bountiful woman. I remember when you were a little girl and I could only watch you from a distance, you were so happy and spritely―however, that all changed when you tasted the concept of reality. Do not confuse your rationale with fear."

      I rolled my eyes, "And you say I'm the sentimentalist?"

      Shinigami grinned and waved his knife at me, "We're together for eternity, it can't be helped." 

      My fingers dug into my arms, I'd live forever? 

      "Don't look at me like that," Shinigami grumbled. "You should have caught on to the longevity provided by our relationship. By the time you physically mature to middle age; your peers will be twice that. You will die eventually, but not anytime soon."

      My lip jutted out in frustration, "Is there any way to avoid this?"

      "Impatient as ever Hika–Chan," Shinigami held out his purple palm for me to strike my fist against it. "Consider this a blessing, there is more time to protect this world." 

       Hidden Mist informants waged their first act of war. In an attempt to infiltrate the Leaf, they made an attempt on Hashirama's life. Madara and I pushed them back towards their territory in Kirigakure.