二十六

A    W I L L   P A S S E D   O N

      I stared out across the village to the bustling life that seemed unaware of the atrocities breaching their border. Children ran through the streets playing, students at the Academy continued their lessons and the occupants went about their day as normal. It took me back to the era of peace before the establishment of Konohagakure. I crouched on the carved scalp of the Third Hokage and reclined, absorbing the view. 

       "We've been granted a cease fire," Hashirama clutched his stomach, staring up at the night sky. "I wish Kawarama was here to see how beautiful the world can be."

      "Kawarama would want you to live in bliss," I rolled onto my side and grinned, brushing my fringe back out of my eyes. "We'll still build that haven of peaceyou, Madara and I will turn these people around."

      "Nobody's gonna listen to us, we're kids," Hashirama sighed and curled up on himself. "We can only dream Hika–Chan."

      "With that attitude we'll achieve nothing," Madara grumbled as he remained on his back. He propped his arms behind his head to support it like a pillow. "We'll use our might and power to win followers. Most of the first branch are in agreement; we too have buried our kin."

     "Madara–Sama," I pouted. "Hashirama has a point, we're just kids. But once we grow up we can do anything."

      "Yeah I guess," Hashirama scrubbed at his wet eyes with his sleeve.

      "I suppose so," Madara muttered.

      I turned my head to see Tobirama's stone face glaring out at the village. Of course, Tobirama wasn't heavily included in our childish movement as much as Hashirama would've liked.

      I sighed and shook my head. We were all so foolish and carefree back then, Hashirama and I believed that everyone was untouchable and that war was just a hurdle to jump over in life. Little did we know that this hurdle would only increase in height.

      "There will always be war," I turned on my side to allow my legs to dangle above the Hokage Tower beneath me. "If only we'd grown up faster."

      Madara arrived at the bank of the stream as soon as I tumbled into view behind Hashirama. He held a rock in his hand and tossed it up in the air, he seemed agitated that I was there.

      "I told you to keep my Little Uchiha away from here," Madara growled at Hashirama before shaking his head. "No matter, here!" both boys exchanged pebbles and held them up to the moonlight. 

      Hashirama turned the flat stone over in his palm to see a warning carved on it. Neither of us had the chance to turn around before Butsuma and Tobirama leaped into view. Prepped in their armour, my gut sank knowing that there was no window for a peaceful escape. Tajima and Izuna sprang out behind Madara as both clan leaders clashed along with their youngest sons.

      "So this is where you go," Butsuma glanced at Hashirama and I before pressing his sword against Tajima's in mid-air. "Damn you Senju, thinking you can influence my boys, huh?"

      "It's not just my sons doing the influencing, that girl is an Uchiha too," Tajima skewered me with his black eyes. "I've tolerated her for as long necessary but it seems we both are waiting for the same snake in the grass, Butsuma. She plays both sides."

      Both fathers broke away from each other and drew kunai. The blades were aimed at Izuna and Tobirama, to eradicate the last weak links. Hashirama and Madara ran to the water but I was one step ahead of them.